Is it possible to over feed?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

konstantine16

Reaction score
A giant asian mantis nympth I have seems to have an insatiable appetite. She eats as many fruit flies that I give her. Is it possible to over feed a mantis?

I gave her a cricket that is larger than her and she grabbed it and went to town with it... tore the poor sucker apart and ate every little bit of it :eek:

A giant asian mantis nympth I have seems to have an insatiable appetite. She eats as many fruit flies that I give her. Is it possible to over feed a mantis?
You can do a search on the forum because I people ask this a lot. You'll find that there are lots of ideas, but my idea is that some mantises will eat to the point that they'll explode. Well, that's not the right word. Stuff will start oozing out of them from the wrong places.

I think mantids stop eating when they are full. If they are too full, they will shoot out some brown coloured liquid from the end of their abdomen. There was a thread about this under 'Heath Issues' titled 'Do mantids urinate?'

When they get nice and plump you can stop feeding for a couple days. Once they get nice and plump you're just wasting food if you keep feeding them.

Latest posts