Is my mantis dying?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alimama

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have 2 females and a male each in their own butterfly cage and have been trying to breed them. I have been taking the male (named PD) and one female out and leaving them alone in my bathroom for a day or so and then alternating with the other female (not much rest for the male). I have never seen them attach or even come close. PD has suddenly become very week (it looks like he is using his hands to try to pick up his legs). He can barely stand and is not eating or drinking. Not reacting to me like usual. Instead tightly clinging to my hand with his hand. Do you think its a natural death? Is there anything I should/could  do for him. Otherwise I will euthenize him. Its so sad :(

( I did mate another female and male successfully-or I think so- I never saw them attached. He was being eaten by the time I checked on  them. Will the female ever eat the mate before she is inseminated?

Here is a picture a few hours ago but seems to be getting worse.

IMG_0587.JPG

This looks like old age. I'm sorry, but there is nothing you can do for him now other than put him in the freezer. 

- MantisGirl13 

Latest posts