Is she scared of prey

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macromatt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I decided to try my 4th instar orchid with a GB today, when she noticed it she raised her arms in the typical mantis position and then started back tracking across the enclosure, she was also wiggling her abdomen. Is this normal? Now she is facing away from the fly ?

Hi all,

I decided to try my 4th instar orchid with a GB today, when she noticed it she raised her arms in the typical mantis position and then started back tracking across the enclosure, she was also wiggling her abdomen. Is this normal? Now she is facing away from the fly ?
She just moulted yesterday, give her a few days before feeding again.

Ok, what is the reason? Just rest I presume?
No but their exoskeleton is soft and not as strong as it should be yet, it takes a few days. Its kind of like trying to get a newborn baby to eat a live chicken. Lol

If the mantis just molted you should not introduce food for at least 24 hours. Molting is an energetically expensive process and mantids will be very hungry post-molt but they need time to harden the new exoskeleton because otherwise prey animals could harm the mantis.

Latest posts