Is there anything i can do at this point?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwan-Thwei

Reaction score
Same problem, different circumstances.
My mantid must have started shedding early in the morning, because when i finally got to him he was pretty much dry. I moistened him and taped him up, peeled off what skin i could, but...He honestly doesn't look good.

For want of a better term, his back/thorax dried at an unusual angle. His legs didn't heal over or grow back, and his front legs are still stuck in a portion of dried skin. Even worse, everything seems to be bent. He cannot stand or even sit up. His wings are crumpled, but honestly that's the least of my problems right now.

IMG_20140801_083919.jpg

IMG_20140801_084038.jpg

As before, i want to know if there is anything i can do. If all hope is truly lost, i want your quickest and most painless euthanasia techniques.

EDIT: I know there's no fixing this. Seeing how it can take nearly a day for an insect to expire in the freezer, i took him out back and dropped a heavy book on him.

His name was Schrödinger

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Gwan,

So sorry for your loss. For future reference, placing them in the freezer anesthetizes them (for the sake of a better word) and kills them pretty fast. Additionally, this process allows you to preserve properly formed mantids (e.g died of old age) for pinning preservation.

With a background in physics and astronomy, I very much appreciate his name!

Sorry about your mantid.I had the same thing happen to my giant shield.it went into molting sick and didn't have the strength to finish I pulled off the skin with tweezers and a mister bottle but I had to put her down it was so contorted all it could move was his head.

Latest posts