Is there away to speed up mantids for them to molt faster

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider_creations

Reaction score
Hi I was winding if there is a way to get mantids to molt faster I heard if you have more heat will feeding them more often help any advice helps :)

feed them daily..thats the only thing i could come up with. when you notice them refusing food or the abdomen moving a lot, or even the abdomen slouching or dragged in any way, thats another way you can tell they are molting soon. 

Hi I was winding if there is a way to get mantids to molt faster I heard if you have more heat will feeding them more often help any advice helps :)
The most common way is to raise their temperature to the upper limits that are recommended for the species you have (refer to the caresheets). Of course making sure they are eating enough as well. Just be careful not to make your mantid obese (most will always eat feeders) as it will lead to health problems and shorten their life even more - and if you are doing it for mating that would further hurt your chances.

I've also heard of misting their habitats often leads to faster molts as well (when combined with the extra heat), as the extra moisture is said to help them fill out quicker, making them molt faster. Not sure if there is any truth to that one, but I know from personal experience it can lead to mold/fungus/bacteria growth much faster for sure (but good ventilation would help stop that).

I've found that keeping as close to natural habitat is best for growth, come to think of it also for breeding/hatching/health/etc. There are some exceptions, but bright and warmer daytime (~85F, 50-60% RH) coupled with cooler and damp nighttime (~70F, 80-90% RH) will yield great results. 

Mantids in nature usually molt during the night/early morning hours, presumably for the humidity. 

feed them daily..thats the only thing i could come up with. when you notice them refusing food or the abdomen moving a lot, or even the abdomen slouching or dragged in any way, thats another way you can tell they are molting soon. 

The most common way is to raise their temperature to the upper limits that are recommended for the species you have (refer to the caresheets). Of course making sure they are eating enough as well. Just be careful not to make your mantid obese (most will always eat feeders) as it will lead to health problems and shorten their life even more - and if you are doing it for mating that would further hurt your chances.

I've also heard of misting their habitats often leads to faster molts as well (when combined with the extra heat), as the extra moisture is said to help them fill out quicker, making them molt faster. Not sure if there is any truth to that one, but I know from personal experience it can lead to mold/fungus/bacteria growth much faster for sure (but good ventilation would help stop that).

I've found that keeping as close to natural habitat is best for growth, come to think of it also for breeding/hatching/health/etc. There are some exceptions, but bright and warmer daytime (~85F, 50-60% RH) coupled with cooler and damp nighttime (~70F, 80-90% RH) will yield great results. 

Mantids in nature usually molt during the night/early morning hours, presumably for the humidity. 
Thanks every one :)

My opinion?

Based off a native here, the Chinese mantis.

I have noticed significant differences in growth rates and size comparing domestic/wild specimens.  I'm thinking along with the heat it may also have to do with the wide variation of foods the wild ones are exposed to? Also im sure natural sunlight/rain would be a factor at play. 

What about using a reptiles setup? ...not necessarily the basking lamps, but I'm talking about the uvb lighting that they need. 

....just a thought.  

My opinion?

Based off a native here, the Chinese mantis.

I have noticed significant differences in growth rates and size comparing domestic/wild specimens.  I'm thinking along with the heat it may also have to do with the wide variation of foods the wild ones are exposed to? Also im sure natural sunlight/rain would be a factor at play. 

What about using a reptiles setup? ...not necessarily the basking lamps, but I'm talking about the uvb lighting that they need. 

....just a thought.  
Yeah using a uv light would probably help i fed them and i am keeping them on the porch since it's 80.F -90.F right now and the mantis sp. Is a desert sp.

Be careful in the natural light in an enclosure... mantids can die in net enclosures outside in full sun. I had to learn that the hard way years ago!

Latest posts