Is this a mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyguylal

Reaction score
Hi well im new to the whole mantid thing and I may have found one.

100_1978.jpg

100_1975.jpg

in the first picture its in a poland springs bottle cap for size reference. Is this in fact a mantis? I found it on a wire fence in massachusetts. It is 103 degrees out today.

Edit: took a better picture.

100_1981.jpg

Its basically what it sounds like. It's a stick insect or an insect that mimics sticks for camoflauge.

Yeah it doesn't look like a stick insect.

I looked it up and im pretty sure its an assasin bug nymph. Anyone know how I can get a mantid in my area?

I looked it up and im pretty sure its an assasin bug nymph. Anyone know how I can get a mantid in my area?
Where do you live? Most likely just walk outside and find one.

These aren't assassin bugs o_O They just look like them except that these suck plant juices. We have ALOT here and they are messing up my mom's flower bush. They go through the same stages as a mantis. Molt, molt, molt, molt, molt, molt, then adult with wings. As an adult they end up looking like a long stinkbug.

I used to think these were assasin bugs too, but when i kept them, they never ate any insects. When I let 3 of them go back into the bush, they started to insert their "beaks" into the stems. I was disappointed to find out that they weren't assasin bugs :(

Latest posts