Is this an S. Floridensis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aomantids

Reaction score
Its a long story how I got to this point of confusion. Can anyone identify this mantis for me? It is a fresh adult male. Looks a fair bit like an undersized Chinese. No red on the underwings like on a chinese. Notice the yellow-orange spot between the raptors. Egg case was advertised as S. Carolina. I'm thinking maybe S. Floridensis?

For sure, it's not S. floridensis nor S. carolina. As what Yen_Saw says, it could be a Narrow-winged mantid. There's a post that shows the difference between Chinese and Narrow-wing (by Rick) I remember.

Yes that is what it is. The ooth shape and the orange spot between the front legs is a dead giveaway.

Yes that is what it is. The ooth shape and the orange spot between the front legs is a dead giveaway.
Thanks again Rick. It would be great for the Mantid Forum to start a new section called "Mantis Identification" where there is a thread/section/ whatever for as many species as possible with photos of the mantis, egg case, description, distinguishing characteristics, etc. I've found that there is huge confusion out there, especailly with species native or naturalized in the US. It could become the ultimate Mantis guide. Your thread on Narrow-wing vs. Chinese has the components for a great start for the Narrow Wing.

Latest posts