Is this one male or female?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyes

Reaction score
Take a look at these pictures (sorry about not perfect quality; click to embiggen), I'm confused. It looks like 6 abdomen segments but maybe at the end there are several? The wings look long like a male.

This is my biggest one and the first to get to adult, if it's male then that likely means all of them are male. ######, how did that happen?!

Whew, thanks. The length of the wings had me confused. I have a smaller thinner mantis that I hope is male so that I should give me a better idea of what the differences are once it gets to adult.

The abdomen will surely get fatter because she just finished molting and hasn't eaten much yet.

I noticed the mantises I released into the wild were only at L5 as of last week. They are probably L6 by now but still at least 2 molts behind the captive.

100% female. Not all species of mantids have females with reduced wings. Tenodera sp. and Mantis religiosa just to name a few. That's a female, so you're good.

Female. I could tell without even clicking the pics. With a little experience you can tell gender of adults with just a glance.

Latest posts