Ischnomantis gigas

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackson

Reaction score
Ok, so i've searched mutiple search engines, searched mantid forums and terratypica and i can still find no information or pictures on this speices.

All i know is males = 15cm. females= 17cm which makes it the largest speicies of mantis in the world. And that they live somewhere in africa.

Does anyone have any info on this species?

Pics?

Are they easy to get hold of in the trade and what are they like to care for?

I'd imagine a species like this would be desired in this hobby...i mean 17cm! Thats as long as a pencil!

Hi.

This species is not in culture. It looks a bit like a mix between Tenodera superstitiosa and Heterochaeta strachani (elongation tendencies), females brachypterous. Not a real beauty, just large. Brownish.

It is not known whether it is easy to breed or not. As a savanna species, breeding should not be a problem, once it is available. It occurs in the African sahel zone, in countries where there are no ooth exports or something. It seems to be not very frequent (rare in collections), so the chances that it appears in stocks are rather low. Other species of that genus occur in E-Africa, maybe one of those will be imported.

It has to be that someone visits the Sahel at the right time, has the chance to search for mantids, find some females, and finally recognize one of them as this species, in order to bring them over here.

There still is, however, the possibility that it will appear in culture purely by chance... :D

At the moment, I do not know of any pic of living specimens.

Regards,

Christian

Hi.

I do not have pics of either living or dead ones. I once saw one in a collection.

Regards,

Christian

haha well i found some pics:

medium size LIVING female:

ischnomantis02jz8.jpg

ischnomantis01hc8.jpg

Latest posts