It's been a long time with no moult...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solaris

Reaction score
I got a couple of new mantises a couple of months ago, an L2 Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii (Tigerlily) and an L3 Hestiasula c.f. hoffmanni (Pom). They've been with me just over 8 weeks to the day, fed on hydei fruit flies.

The thing is that in all that time, Pom has not moulted even once, while Tigerlily for comparison has moulted twice, the second moult being yesterday. I know they are very different species but it still strikes me as odd. Pom is still eating and seems perfectly healthy, I'm just a little worried that it's taking so long to moult.

I haven't kept a Hestiasula species before but 8+ weeks for an L3 mantis to moult seems excessive.

+ little snap of Pom on the day I got her. She is still the exact same size and behaving the exact same way. (I don't actually know if she is female. I just refer to all my young mantises as female until proven otherwise)

20180921_140053.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... That is quite odd. Could she have possibly molted without your knowledge? I've heard stories of mantids eating their dead shells after molts. She looks healthy enough from the picture. Maybe she hasn't been provided with the right conditions, and has been waited for them to be provided? (Heat, temp, right place to hang for molt, etc.) Not sure on that theory though. I suggest getting some opinions from some of the forums more experienced keepers. 

I don't think she could have moulted because as I said, she is still the same size. I have just been keeping her in the small deli cup I received her in, at room temperature, with misting once a day. The breeder didn't state any need for a heat lamp or the like, but I will send him an email to ask about it. Thanks

I'll move her into a bigger container then. I've got a 32oz pot free, that should be big enough I hope. Thanks, hopefully she'll moult soon.

Hey guys, still nothing. She seems happy enough in her new container, and definitely likes hiding in the leaves of her fake plant, but she's still munching away happily at the flies I toss in. That's 10 weeks now. So strange.

Hey guys, still nothing. She seems happy enough in her new container, and definitely likes hiding in the leaves of her fake plant, but she's still munching away happily at the flies I toss in. That's 10 weeks now. So strange.
Strange! Are you SURE she didn't do a 'Ninja molt'?

- MantisGirl13

Here's a picture of her from the day she arrived compared to one from today. I obviously can't totally rule out a ninja moult but there really doesn't seem to be a size difference to me. 

20180921_135947.jpg

20181202_204616.jpg

You are right, there is no size difference! I hope she molts soon!

- MantisGirl13

If she is healthy and happy, don't worry about it!
Actually, there can be some worry. I have had perfectly normal mantids die because of the 'Peter Pan disease ' (I don't wanna grow up) 

- MantisGirl13