It's Happening-MEGAUPLOAD down!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had nothing to do with SOPA, which is dead in the water.

http://news.yahoo.co...-163705199.html

They were able to take down MEGAUPLOAD because the man in charge uploaded copy-written material. Otherwise they couldn't have done anything. That's why RapidShare, etc. are still up.

"However, it appears that Kim Dotcom, who seems to be the mind behind Megaupload as well as other “mega” sites, may actually be guilty of direct copyright infringement, according to a report and court filing Techdirt has published. The court found that Perfect 10 “has adequately alleged Megaupload has engaged in volitional conduct sufficient to hold it liable for direct infringement.” The document states that Megaupload not only provides a network designed to encourage copyright infringements, but its operators are being paid to upload popular and copyrighted data to Megaupload’s servers."

http://2dayblog.com/2011/08/10/megaupload-sued-for-copyright-infringement/

This has been ongoing since August of last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had nothing to do with SOPA, which is dead in the water.

http://news.yahoo.co...-163705199.html

They were able to take down MEGAUPLOAD because the man in charge uploaded copy-written material. Otherwise they couldn't have done anything. That's why RapidShare, etc. are still up.

"However, it appears that Kim Dotcom, who seems to be the mind behind Megaupload as well as other “mega” sites, may actually be guilty of direct copyright infringement, according to a report and court filing Techdirt has published. The court found that Perfect 10 “has adequately alleged Megaupload has engaged in volitional conduct sufficient to hold it liable for direct infringement.” The document states that Megaupload not only provides a network designed to encourage copyright infringements, but its operators are being paid to upload popular and copyrighted data to Megaupload’s servers."

http://2dayblog.com/...t-infringement/

This has been ongoing since August of last year.
http://youtu.be/NzS5rSvZXe8

At least I have copies of 'my work' backed up on videobb,rapidshare,Novamov,ZShare,Videx and others..... nothing can happen to them lol!

Same fascists, totally different issue. Has nothing to do with SOPA or PIPA. Neither of them passed.
+1 i strongly opposed SOPA and The Kid and I devised a way of closing down this site, had it been passed, simply by illegally recording a copyrighted song and then posting it here using a Droid and a proxy ID (www.proxyservices.com/proxy-phone-minutes) We would then notify the guvmint, and down would go the site. This has nothing to do with the prosecution of Mr. Dotcom Schmitz who has a record of convictions for hacking the sites of financial institutions, fraud and insider trading, and who allegedly owns a $23 million home in NZ. If he is found to be not guilty, I should expect him to be released, but are some folks here saying that copyright theft is part of our natural heritage and no one should be prosecuted for it beacause they are making uit possible for us to obtain material without paying for it (an activity called "stealing" in some circles)?

+1 i strongly opposed SOPA and The Kid and I devised a way of closing down this site, had it been passed, simply by illegally recording a copyrighted song and then posting it here using a Droid and a proxy ID (www.proxyservices.com/proxy-phone-minutes) We would then notify the guvmint, and down would go the site. This has nothing to do with the prosecution of Mr. Dotcom Schmitz who has a record of convictions for hacking the sites of financial institutions, fraud and insider trading, and who allegedly owns a $23 million home in NZ. If he is found to be not guilty, I should expect him to be released, but are some folks here saying that copyright theft is part of our natural heritage and no one should be prosecuted for it beacause they are making uit possible for us to obtain material without paying for it (an activity called "stealing" in some circles)?
I agree. But the providers pushing this agenda are guilty of inducement, endorsement and distribution of the applications which they now pretend to be fighting against. They are therefore just as liable, if not more so, because without them the means by which theft occurs would not have been readily available.

I reminds me of episodes of the show Cops where they put a bike out unattended on the bad part of town and arrest anyone who tries to "steal" it. If I find a $10 bill is that stealing? If you dangle a steak in front of a hungry animal is it stealing when it bites at the food? Maybe extreme examples but the average person is not too bright to begin with.

Regardless (notice I didn't say "irregardless" ^_^ ), it is obvious the current situation with rampant file sharing was engineered in order to have an excuse to impose strict controls intended to control other aspects of internet use. But they've been found out and identified. They will lose and hopefully face the prosecutions they wished to impose on us!

Same fascists, totally different issue. Has nothing to do with SOPA or PIPA. Neither of them passed.
I know SOPA wasn't passed but isn't PIPA going to the house on 1/24/2012? Also what about ONline Protection and Enforecment of Digital Trade Act? As you already know is basically a alternative to SOPA and PIPA.

Right Stevie I completely agree internet pirates should not get punished.

I know SOPA wasn't passed but isn't PIPA going to the house on 1/24/2012? Also what about ONline Protection and Enforecment of Digital Trade Act? As you already know is basically a alternative to SOPA and PIPA.
Well, i don't know that, and I have read the provisions of SOPA and OPEN, and neither do Facebook and Google who opposed the first and support the second.

Neither do i find it scary that American Law Enforcement Agencies, through the DOJ have a mutual agreement with over 100 countries in the world to extradite foreign or US citizens whom they have reason to believe -- and can convince their extradition partner -- can be found guilty of major crimes when brought to trial.

When a poor (or rich for that matter) person takes a bicycle in a "poor neighborhood", he is knowingly stealing from the poor neighbor who owns the bike. He is a thief, and if convicted, should be punished as one. The criterion for prosecution in the US is whether the accused knows right from wrong, not whether he is "not very bright" or whether he has lost a few fingers to a starving dog. (Please Henry, don't dangle meat like that! My niece Coralee had her face ripped open by a hungry dog when, as a child, she tried to snatch his bone away).

I guess the bottom line is this. If someone has copyrighted a song or a movie or, for that matter, a photo of a mantis*, and posts it on the web, do we have the right to take it without permission and, if it was produced as the creator's means of making a living, without paying for it?

I suspect that there are members here who believe that such appropriation is morally O.K. and that attempts to stop it are a threat to the Internet or Our American Way of Life. If there are such folks on this thread, would you come out and say so please? I am very poorly attuned to the nuances of emotional rhetoric, so forgive me if i ask for a simple statement.

* It is interesting to note that three members of this forum, to my knowledge, have expressed their displeasure over their photos being appropriated over the internet and used without permission. One member was suspended for doing so. So does whether an act is right or wring depend on who stands to gain or lose?

Latest posts