It's here!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I asked for an H. Membranacea but the cup is labeled 'Black Flash' so I guess we will see what he/she molts to :)

Trying to post a photo but I'm having problems :/

Now it won't eat :(

It ate a whole fly yesterday mid-morning in under 10min and hasn't touched anything since. It's just looking at the fly in it's cup and not trying to grab it. I've had it for 30hrs so I have no idea when it's going to molt again but I know that rejecting food is a sign. I saw it make a move toward the fly a few hours ago but I don't know if it was swatting it away or if it just missed.

DID I BREAK THE MANTIS!?!?

Take a deep breath...it will all be ok, he/she is probably just full...give it some water and wait a day or two..

All the best,

Andrew

I have new mom panic, lol. We are going out of town for the evening, coming back tomorrow night, should I take the flies out and just hope it doesn't molt while we are gone?

I have new mom panic, lol. We are going out of town for the evening, coming back tomorrow night, should I take the flies out and just hope it doesn't molt while we are gone?
It won't hurt to leave the mantis without food for a day. If the mantis is going to molt, I remove the feeders so they don't interfere with the vulnerable mantis.

Why why would you hope that the mantis doesn't molt while you are gone?

If you want to witness the ecdysis, I understand.

It is an amazing thing to watch, but be sure that everything is as still and calm as possible. If something startles or disturbs the mantis while it is molting, it can fall and be injured or killed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was worried that the little guy would get too dry while we were gone. It molted in the middle of the night and he looks great :)

How long should we wait to put more feeders in? I've heard anywhere between one and three days.

Give him at least a day to harden up then try with one feeder the following day to see if he is interested; if so feed him a little more and give him some water...

All the best,

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts