Jumping spiders - I think this is the right species

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psychobunny

Reaction score
I have these little guys all over my house and they are so cute!!

Their heads are boxy, and the colors are really neat looking.

They are also not affraid of me and will crawl around on me and take

a drink of water from my finger.

I have one currently living in my basement in my workshop.

He comes out when I am stitting there, still.

I think this is the right species, looks exactly like it:

http://www.flickr.co...ser/2856337269/

I really heart these little guys, they are fun to play with ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only seen one of those around here a few years ago when I wasn't into keeping inverts yet. However, I handled it a bit, and I have been interacting with other species of jumpers since I can remember. They were great fun for me as a child and I love them. :wub:

How long do these live? I have caught 7 of them in differing sizes. I don't do much, but keep them fed. They have all made little web tents where they seem to prefer to stay, which I wish they didn't. Another thing I don't like is having to remove fly carcasses. Other than that, when they come out, they're fun to watch. I keep them separated, of course. I may, if I have a pair, try to get them together. I will have to take a closer look at these "jumpy" spiders of mine. I don't really even know what to look for. :detective:

I dont know anything about them.

I will have to look up the species and do some reading up.

I see them around here a lot. Have never attempted to keep one

contained to observe their behaviour.

I just like to play with them when I see them, then I let them go about their business.

House spiders are great to have around for all those escaped crickets!! ;)

I have kept a couple of species easy enough for a few months at a time before releasing them. I don't know how long they live for because I release them after a while. In my little experience, they can be kept similar to mantids without problems. I don't mind removing carcasses unless there are spiderlings in there. Otherwise, it is easy enough to clean up, but I don't like removing their silk too often as I believe it makes it easier for them to get around in the plastic containers.

I had a couple of batches of young from a Plexipus paykulli and the spiderlings were easy enough to manage for the first couple of weeks. The young seem to take a while before they begin to wander too far from their silk nest. Once they did, they were very cute little hunters who would take down prey that was many times their size. It was no use telling them that those flies were meant for their mother. :lol:

i love jumpers, and there's lots of species where I live. They are great to observe and snap photos of. However I've never been very keen on keeping them (or most other spiders for that matter) because of the silk guidelines they leave everywhere they go, and the insect shells left behind after each meal. It gets messy very quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice looking species. I don't see jumping spiders that often, but occasionally find zebra jumping spiders on my windowsills.

Latest posts