Jumping Spiders

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Dane

Reaction score
Hi,

So yesterday I found a jumping spider, pretty sure it's a sassacus papenhoei, but not 100% sure. I'll get some close ups soon. I was wondering if anyone knew how to care for these guys? 

1). What do they eat? This guy's  very small, so houseflies are kinda big. Will it still be fine to feed him/her these, or do they eat themselves to death?

2). Habitat. Is the habitat pictured below okay? Does it need to be bigger?

3). Sexing. How do you sex these spiders? I only have one, so I can't really try comparisons. Again, I'll get close ups later.

Thanks for reading these questions! Any answers are appreciated!

Here's some pics.

In the habitat picture, the spider is the little dot on top.

(Close ups are 10x Macro)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow he's really cool! Always thought about keeping a jumping spider but I just don't know how to care for it and I have a bit of arachnophobia lol. Good luck with him!

Wow he's really cool! Always thought about keeping a jumping spider but I just don't know how to care for it and I have a bit of arachnophobia lol. Good luck with him!
Thanks. And I get the arachnophobia too, sometimes, lol. Jumping spiders are okay, though. Very sweet and intelligent.

I did some research and figured out the species is Sassacus vitis. Most likely a female, too. Maybe she's already mated  :D

But I don't even know if she's fully grown yet. 

@Connor

I agree. They are very cute. My spider used her silk and two leaves to create a makeshift house for herself. She's peeks out, and it's the cutest thing I've ever seen a spider do. Any bug do, really, lol.

I caught a jumping spider a few weeks ago and I just released it today.

As for feeding I would try one house fly every couple of days. It should be able to take it down. 

I think the enclosure is fine. Maybe a piece of bark similar in color to him so he feels hidden. 

I caught a jumping spider a few weeks ago and I just released it today.

As for feeding I would try one house fly every couple of days. It should be able to take it down. 

I think the enclosure is fine. Maybe a piece of bark similar in color to him so he feels hidden. 
Aw, that's nice.

okay. Are moths and and other garden bugs okay, too? I plan on catching them, putting them into the fudge so they can't fly around and transferring them into her habitat after. Will this work fine?

okay, I'll do that tomorrow.

thanks for all the help!

I would think moths would be ok as long as they are small enough for him to keep a grip on them. Just make sure you aren't feeding it anything to aggressive or anything with a hard exoskeleton. 

Found a baby. Is it possible to tell the species, or is it too tiny?

I took the pics with 15x Macro

Oh, and can two female jumpers live together, or will they fight? I found a second girl.

Found a male. Think I should move him in with the female? She's been upgraded to a 1gal, so there should be enough room.

also, are lacewings dangerous as foods? Adult lacewings. My male seems to be avoiding his lacewing. Or maybe he's plotting something, idk.

Latest posts