Just a quick question about mating!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdreamchas3r913

Reaction score
Just something out of curiosity: Do females ever refuse to connect with the male even if they are both sexually mature? I know that it's common for younger males to take awhile before they figure out how to get things started i was just wondering if it's possible for a female to allow a male to mount her, but not allow him to actually mate. This might sound kinda stupid to you guys so sorry I'm a total noob lol the question just came to me today when i was mating a couple. The male seemed very eager a bit too much maybe he saw the female for a second from inside his container and when i took him out was dry humping a chopstick i had him on..but when he actually mounted the female, alot of stuff was happening that kinda confused me..he was in the right position, and his abdomen was curling under the female correctly too for awhile but to me, it looked like the female wouldn't "open up" or allow him to connect. The male would then climb up a bit and kinda poke her and readjust his arms around her and bat her head with his antenna. she was totally chill with him on top of her but they wouldnt connect. at some point the male climbed all the way up and it looked like he was kissing her eye or something, his antenna were still going crazy and his arms were around her neck he eventually settled on her side for a bit and went back into position and they finally connected. what i was wondering was if it was the male who was trying to figure stuff out or if the female just wasn't in the mood yet..it would make sense that this male might have taken a bit before he did things properly half the time he wasn't even where he was supposed to be. but at for awhile at the beginning he was doing fine to me and had his abdomen right where it should be except it didn't connect. and before they finally started mating the tip of his abdomen was on the tip of hers for a few minutes but hers didn't seem to open up yet. They are doing perfectly now and are in the bathtub so the male has plenty of space to fly off if he needs to! but i was just wondering about this if anyone can fill me in! thanks a bunch everyone stay healthy and don't forget to brush your teeth and floss everyday!

What species?Lets guess.Chinese,Stagmomantis?I

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen what you described a million times. I really don't know how to explain it though. Probably much more to it than you realize.

stagmomantis limbata! wow didn't think it was that common rick so in this case it wasn't the male who was messing up? i always thought that if a female wasn't ready to mate she would just attack the male or something if she lets him mount her i assumed that would mean she was ready. They are doing fine now tho just checked on them again and they are still going at it! what would you advise me to do if this happened again? should i just let them be? Last night they eventually started mating it just took nearly an hour or so. or should i separate them and wait a few hours or a couple days and try again? I was staring at them for quite a long time cuz i was afraid the female would start getting annoyed and eat him but it probably didn't make her any more comfortable with my face constantly there next to them. just wondering what usually happens when females don't allow for connection, do they usually become aggressive after the male keeps trying or do they normally allow it eventually but just take their time? i don't want to take any chances and lose any males if its possible i have more males than i need now since the last two survived but i'd still rather be safe and wait a bit before i mate a female than lose a male. it's awesome that the other two survived after mating, all my past males always got eaten! but it would really suck if one was killed before he even mated!

This is all a part of their courtship and mating ritual. Also keep in mind that your observing them is affecting their performances. They are highly aware of their surroundings (even have ultrasonic hearing). When mating mantids, I would just provide the amenities and just let them do their own thing in their own privacy.

ok sounds good! yea i'm not too experienced with mating mantids only done it a few times so i'm a bit overly paranoid. thanks for the tip! i'm learning more every day!

Latest posts