Just Joined - Saved a Mantis from the Cold, Need Advice

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindalorber

Reaction score
Last Saturday I brought a mantis inside (i'm in Delaware) because the temp was going down to 28. I put her in a large Tupperware container with some dirt, lots of climbing driftwood and branches. I have a sponge in a low dish with water and am sprinkling water on the dead leaves too. I have bought small/med and large size crickets from petco and have put them in. After a day of warming, she ate some of the crickets. I also released some flightless fruit flies in there with her.

It is now Thursday and she has been climbing around, stalking crickets and sometimes puts her legs on the sponge. I bout a 10 gallon terrarium to transfer into but have not done that yet.

What else should I do?

Linda

Hello Linda and welcome to the hobby and forum! :clap: I myself just recently started the hobby with a saved mantis too, Susanna. Seems to be a popular way to get started, especially this time of year. :D Post some pictures of your mantis/habitat and someone can identify your mantis, and give more help as they can see what is going on in your mantis habitat/tank.

There are much more knowledgeable people here than me, but here are a few things I'll point out to help and provide links to other topics for information.

The dirt should be kept shallow (or removed?), as the only thing it will do is provide a place for the crickets to dig and hide. Many people here either use paper towels, sphagnum moss, or coconut husks for the substrate (ground). I personally use Plantation Soil, as it is ground coconut husks so it is anti-fungal and helps regulate humidity.

The water sponge/dish as long as it doesn't have standing water, is a good source of water for the crickets. Your mantis however, will most likely never use it and gets it's water from prey (crickets) she eats and misted water. You mention sprinkling water, not sure what that is, but for your mantis you should use a new spray-bottle set to mist. Then mist the habitat (branches/leaves) and only do enough so any water drops evaporate in 30 minutes. Too much water can cause mold or fungus in your habitat.

Not sure how many crickets you have in the habitat with her, but crickets not intended for a current meal should be kept their own tank (another link). Large amounts of crickets with your mantis will only stress her out from their constant presence and movement, and possibly other problems. The only feeders you can house with your mantis safely they say are roaches (don't keep roaches myself).

The crickets themselves will need to be feed (or here)/water misted, as they will usually start to die slowly in a few days if they are not taken care of. They are a good source of food for your mantis, if they are properly feed - my mantis eats crickets with no complaints.

At that point adding a dish of "dirt" to your cricket habitat will allow them to breed, and save you money/trips. My crickets have been busy lately laying eggs in the "dirt" (I use a 1 1/2" tall cut empty oatmeal container filled with Plantation Soil). In a few weeks I'll know how that works out as they will start hatching,

Do not keep crickets in the same housing with her! They are notorious for attacking mantids. Keep them in thier own container and put a couple in with your new friend every few days.

Try giving her honey on the end of a tooth pick. They adore that!

And welcome too!

You got some good advise...

Keep us updated on your progress... we also like pics...

Latest posts