Just saying Hi!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cally95

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been lurking for about a year and  I've almost bought an Orchid mantid or 2 at reptile shows but didn't want to make an impulse buy. I recently was ordering some feeder insects for my Mudskippers and Abronia (arboreal lizards) and saw they had an ooth for sale so I bought 1, it's a Chinese ooth. I also bought the book "Praying Mantids keeping aliens" awhile back and have enjoyed it. I have been obsessively researching Mantids and waiting for the ooth to hatch, I hope it does but I'll have to wait and see. I've really enjoyed reading through post and learning, you guys seem like a great group! 

Thanks for the all info!

Cally

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask any questions, and I’m sure you will get answers pretty quickly!

- MantisGirl13 

@Cally95 Hi Cally, I have kept chinese ooths before. Feel free to ask me any questions.

@Cally95 Hi Cally, I have kept chinese ooths before. Feel free to ask me any questions.
Hello, yes I may have a few questions. I bought the ooth from a reputable place (not sure if mentioning it is allowed) but waiting for them to hatch is hard. I mean I've only had it about a week and have no idea when it was laid. What do you think are the chances of it hatching?  ( I got 2 as it is standard to send 2 in case 1 is infertile - which Im sure you know) 

Thanks to the above for the warm welcome!

If ooth is fresh it should hatch under a month if you keep it warm no hotter than 75 80 degrees tops and not in the sun. If the ooth not very fresh and been sitting in cold packs or cooler environment when you got it then it should hatch in 2 to 3 weeks. Having 2 ooths should double the chance that you have a fertile ooth. Most ooths should be fertile if mated with a male but sometimes things happen and no one knows why an ooth may not be hatching even if fertile. so it is a good thing you bought 2. I hope you are spraying a little mist with distilled, flitered or srping water everyday in the enclosure, make sure you dont get the ooth wet.

If ooth is fresh it should hatch under a month if you keep it warm no hotter than 75 80 degrees tops and not in the sun. If the ooth not very fresh and been sitting in cold packs or cooler environment when you got it then it should hatch in 2 to 3 weeks. Having 2 ooths should double the chance that you have a fertile ooth. Most ooths should be fertile if mated with a male but sometimes things happen and no one knows why an ooth may not be hatching even if fertile. so it is a good thing you bought 2. I hope you are spraying a little mist with distilled, flitered or srping water everyday in the enclosure, make sure you dont get the ooth wet.
Thank you for the info, yes I am misting with RODI (I make my own for my reef aquarium)  I mist every other day but I have a moist paper towel on the bottom that I check on every day. Should I be misting the sides of the container everyday even with the moist paper towel on the bottom? They are in a 32oz deli cup. Not sure what I'm going to do with a sh*t ton of nymphs if they all hatch but I am collecting deli cups like crazy. What is the general conscience on releasing them into the wild? I know it can be a touchy subject and don't want to start a big controversy but I'm on the East coast and it is legal, yes I do understand that just cause it's legal doesn't mean it's ethical. So I wanted to know you guys thoughts? 

When I had my ooth 2 years ago some escaped and some I let go at the creek, I live near a creek with alot of hungry birds ready to eat. They probably got eaten. Never saw them again. I go to the creek often, havent seen any grandchildren or great grandchildren chinese mantises. I would not suggest releasing them very young. 

Latest posts