Kia ora from Aotearoa!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silke

Reaction score
Kia ora, my name is Silke and I live in Tāmaki Makaurau, Aotearoa (New Zealand).

I'm passionate about native species and when after years of wondering if all my natives had been eaten up by South African praying mantises, we finally located a very pregant lady that I protectiovely took in to lay her ootheca in a safe spot. I got her a proper vivarium, kitted it out with bits from the garden, catch live insects for her, and supplement with mealworms. She's stunning, maybe 7=8cm in size, bright geen, with red bits on her abdomen and yellow accents on her claws. They've also got pruple'/blue dots on their claws, very striking creature I'm very fond of.

I'm a little nervous about finding fruit flies for the babies once they hatch but started a small trap which i will turn into a farm I reckon. Seems to be the only solid way to ensure food.

Be good to read about you all!

Silke

448412285_1129214101522566_1892149298130872718_n.jpeg

Kia ora, my name is Silke and I live in Tāmaki Makaurau, Aotearoa (New Zealand).

I'm passionate about native species and when after years of wondering if all my natives had been eaten up by South African praying mantises, we finally located a very pregant lady that I protectiovely took in to lay her ootheca in a safe spot. I got her a proper vivarium, kitted it out with bits from the garden, catch live insects for her, and supplement with mealworms. She's stunning, maybe 7=8cm in size, bright geen, with red bits on her abdomen and yellow accents on her claws. They've also got pruple'/blue dots on their claws, very striking creature I'm very fond of.

I'm a little nervous about finding fruit flies for the babies once they hatch but started a small trap which i will turn into a farm I reckon. Seems to be the only solid way to ensure food.

Be good to read about you all!

Silke
Oh wow, New Zealand!! I wish! Welcome to the community, would love to see more photos of your lady mantis! You got this, we all are rooting for you.

hi, You can collect some fruit flies with a bottle with lid off and some rotting fruit at bottom, when you see a few in there cap it and start a culture and you just make a new one about every two weeks and you'll have plenty of fruit flies for them.

I haven't seen that species in person in a very long time but very handsome.

Latest posts