L. minor housing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ns22

Reaction score
I recently caught an l4 or l5 L. minor, and I'm not sure about the care requirements. It's been eating well, but does the cage need a shedding surface? Or can it molt on the paper towel? Here is a pic of the setup. Thanks!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If the paper towel is secured to the glass with hot glue it would work; otherwise, a mesh top is needed so it will not fall and mismolt. As it seems the container is glass, I have to ask is the lid ventilated?

The lid has a small ventilation hole, I'm using a 3.5 inch deli cup. I actually leave the top off for parts of the day, so he can have open air. Thanks for the tip on the paper towel!

Ah okay, the way it reflects light it looked like glass. The plastic deli cup is much better, but to help with ventilation/air flow you can cut several small holes in the lid and cover them by hot gluing paper towel onto it (a diy insect lid), buy a lid made link 1 - link 2 - link 3, or see the diy here.

No problem, if you do that just put a small blob/squirt/dollop of hot glue along the top and put the corner of the paper towel into it. That way it will hold secure for your little mantid and can be easily removed to change out the paper towel.

Although mesh across the lid, or even hot gluing a piece of stick/dowel rod across the lid, is the best way to avoid mis-molts as the mantid will be able to molt vertically with nothing in the way (like the side of the cup).

Latest posts