L1 Empusa pennata

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think the real test is when you have to cool them. did you ever get a wine cooler.? i can show pics of mine if needed. it would work perfect.

Wine cooler is a good idea, I have been talking to Tony about this because at the age they are supposed to Diapause there is not way it will be cool enough in the south.

I also want to remind everyone about the ootheca up for sale, These guys only have a 2 week incubation at room temp. SO if you buy you best confirm they are fresh or you will have a hatched ooth and lots of dead. I promised an ooth to a friend in Taiwan, we basicly have to have it shipped day after it laid to guarantee safe arrival.

i think the real test is when you have to cool them. did you ever get a wine cooler.? i can show pics of mine if needed. it would work perfect.
You know, all heck broke loose last time we mentioned the wine cooler but I have been in a few reptile stores that use them. What's the temp range on those,

Wine cooler is a good idea, I have been talking to Tony about this because at the age they are supposed to Diapause there is not way it will be cool enough in the south.

I also want to remind everyone about the ootheca up for sale, These guys only have a 2 week incubation at room temp. SO if you buy you best confirm they are fresh or you will have a hatched ooth and lots of dead. I promised an ooth to a friend in Taiwan, we basicly have to have it shipped day after it laid to guarantee safe arrival.
Or here either. Iol

You guys realize theses will be at L4L5 well before fall right? It will still be in the 70's and 80's in November where most of us are with Empusa.

Last edited by a moderator:
GG: What about just keeping them outdoors?
That is my plan, I intend to keep them in my greenhouse. I suspect we may see a slower growth rate in the younger instars, followed by a major increase after diapause. I have been to the Mediterranean area in the fall and it is still warm, much like the southeastern US. I am not sure how they would be able to diapause in nature if they maintain the same growth rate that we have seen so far, they would simply grow up and burn out before the weather had a chance to cool off.

You know, all heck broke loose last time we mentioned the wine cooler but I have been in a few reptile stores that use them. What's the temp range on those,
i think mine goes from 45 to 65, i will check today and see. mine has led lights in it and a clear glass door. i think it was 60 bucks at target.

I have seen some at Targhetto for decent prices that will get to 50. We can be December and in the 60s and we don't have basements and such here. Attic is like a million and two degrees so for my locale I am just not entirely sure yet but research never killed anyone. Lol

All present and accounted for except one that jumped off my hand while transferring him. He is... MIA but so far no cannabalism or deaths.

Latest posts