L1/first instar comparison (appearance only)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a similar photo of my L1 Thesprotia =D

But my cam isn't this powerful xD

DSCN3758_zps82a2ab08.jpg

St. Nicholas came early to my house this year and sent me some 1st instar Parymenopus davisoni (Yellow Orchids) nymphs. I inserted one of the photos from today in the first post (6th photo), right after the Orchid. These nymphs look a lot like Orchids at this stage with a little bit of Creobroter mixed in. If they don't molt to L2 overnight, I'll try again tomorrow.

Thank you Nick (AOD).

Thanks to Adrienne for another opportunity to photograph a new species: Stagmomantis carolina (Carolina mantis). Image can be found in the second post (currently the last image).

Thanks to Mime for sending me some first instar Taumantis Sigiana nymphs to photograph. This species sure has oversized backlegs at this stage. They remind me of a grasshopper.The Taumantis nymphs that Piotr Naskrecki showed on his blog were green when they hatched: http://thesmallermajority.com/2012/10/04/'>http://thesmallermajority.com/2012/10/04/
Tammy im not sure thats a taumantis

Its certainly not sigiana but i have a feeling it could be a miomantis sp, which have been known to use parthenogenesis

The ooth is brown and shaped more like a mio or sphodro ooth

I could be wrong but to me the blog is depicting a miomantis

Tammy im not sure thats a taumantis

Its certainly not sigiana but i have a feeling it could be a miomantis sp, which have been known to use parthenogenesis

The ooth is brown and shaped more like a mio or sphodro ooth

I could be wrong but to me the blog is depicting a miomantis
The one in the blog, I think is Taumantis cephalotes. Good photo Tammy considering that they almost never stop moving. Most active first instar nymphs I've never kept. Feeding them without a drilled lid is one if the most challenging things I've undertaken in my life.

Tammy im not sure thats a taumantis Its certainly not sigiana but i have a feeling it could be a miomantis sp, which have been known to use parthenogenesis The ooth is brown and shaped more like a mio or sphodro ooth I could be wrong but to me the blog is depicting a miomantis
Agent A I think that is spot on. I doubt it was a tau.

tammy why do u have limbata twice??
I processed the image where the nymph is upright first. Later I found one where it was hanging upside down and decided that I liked it next to the S. carolina nymph as a comparison. I just didn't bother to delete the original photo that I posted. I'll remove it when I need the space for another photo. I haven't been photographing mantids recently and have been photographing lots of owls, swans and hot air balloons.

I processed the image where the nymph is upright first. Later I found one where it was hanging upside down and decided that I liked it next to the S. carolina nymph as a comparison. I just didn't bother to delete the original photo that I posted. I'll remove it when I need the space for another photo. I haven't been photographing mantids recently and have been photographing lots of owls, swans and hot air balloons.
nice :D