L2 Nymph feeding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdawg

Reaction score
Only one of my Miomantis Paykullii L2 nymphs have had one half of a fruitfly, how many should they be eating and how often?

Never kept mios before but if you just look at their abdomen and make sure it is plump, not skinny, they should be fine!

Never kept mios before but if you just look at their abdomen and make sure it is plump, not skinny, they should be fine!
Thanks. 

Thanks. There's still a couple of flies in the terrarium with them. Do you think it might he too big for them to hunt at such a young age? I'm trying to upload a photo of the day thwhre hanging, like their abdomen is dead weight in an upside down U shape, maybe just chilling. 

He could be not hungry or not able to catch him if the enclosure is too big. A pic would help me tell you which. Nymphs always hang upside down like that.

He could be not hungry or not able to catch him if the enclosure is too big. A pic would help me tell you which. Nymphs always hang upside down like that.
It won't allow me to upload, is there a daily size limit? The enclosure is already on a post from earlier though

Yeah I would like to see a picture of the mantis in the enclosure so I can see it to scale. I a 3rd party site to post picks. Any site will do, just upload a pic and then copy and paste that url into a post on here. I personally use Flickr.

Sorry but I can’t see the mantis in it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah those enclosures are a little big to feed the mantis in. I would recommend keeping him in something smaller. Or just take them out and put them in something smaller to eat.

I have got some micro crickets, but my L2/3 nymphs don't seem interested. They haven't eaten today, they had a fruit fly yesterday and I got some micro crickets to last until the rest of the flies hatch, but they don't seem interested. One has molted a few days ago, the other hasn't molted in the week I've had them. Any tips for encouraging feeding? They aren't too big for the nymphs, and I've left one cricket in the enclosure each which I will remove at the end of the night before I go to bed to avoid any damage to the mantids. Just can't seem to get them to eat the crickets.