L3 Violin + Chinese

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricardo

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So despite my camera being very mediocre it still managed to catch the beauty of my young little friends.

The violin pictures are of my L3 female Susie

( She loves crickets. Which is interesting because everyone says they won't go for them ) :p

This one's really cool. It's easy to see how her prey stands no chance once trapped in her scythes! :mellow:

mantids022.jpg

Face close up.

mantids023-1.jpg

I really like this one. haha what a cute gal ;)

mantids020.jpg

Susie wandering around on my 'lectric piano

mantids021.jpg

And here's some shots of Frederick. One of my 20 L1 chinese nymphs. ( Btw selling some of these guys pm if interested )

He pounced onto the camera just after I took the shot :D

mantids024-1.jpg

Cleaning his feet

mantids025.jpg

As you can see he eats quite a bit . Healthy little guy .

mantids026.jpg

So there's the best my digital camera can do. can't wait for these guys to molt some more!

( Does anyone know how long it takes for a chinese to molt after hatching on average ? )

Last edited by a moderator:
On average it's about 10 day's give or take when they first ate. some eat the next day and some 2-3 day's later, getting full for the first time has a bearing on when they go L2.

Be careful of the cricket diet for a Violin. Is there not something written that they cannot digest properly, ground insects? I avoid giving mine them, and in fact they don't even look at them.

Be careful of the cricket diet for a Violin. Is there not something written that they cannot digest properly, ground insects? I avoid giving mine them, and in fact they don't even look at them.
Don't worry! Since I got fruit flies Susie has been eating those up. Crickets are now only for when I can't get a hold of better feeders

On average it's about 10 day's give or take when they first ate. some eat the next day and some 2-3 day's later, getting full for the first time has a bearing on when they go L2.
Well mine ate like 2 days after hatching . Ever since they've been stuffing their faces with fruit flies.

Any estimation for me? they haven't molted and I've had em for more then two weeks.

make it a little humid(50-70%) and maybe raise the temps (75-80), I'm not sure what your keeping them at now, but they will molt when there ready.

Not to scare you but be ready for some to die with no real reason, out of 100 L1 Chinese your lucky to get 10-15 adults, its just the nature of the beast.

make it a little humid(50-70%) and maybe raise the temps (75-80), I'm not sure what your keeping them at now, but they will molt when there ready.

Not to scare you but be ready for some to die with no real reason, out of 100 L1 Chinese your lucky to get 10-15 adults, its just the nature of the beast.
Oh dear :(

Because out of two eggs only like 50 nymphs actually hatched but about 100 others were crushed because the eggs fell during shipping.

I currently have about 20 extremely healthy ones. more than two weeks old. Do you think they will all perish due to chance? all eating a ton and very active

No No, not at all but you may want to keep them all just in case. I've had many of them, just trying to give you some input bud. don't worry just enjoy. ;)

The eggs weren't crushed due to the fall. That's highly unlikely. It could be due to humidity or any other random factor. More may still hatch out, so don't worry.

The eggs weren't crushed due to the fall. That's highly unlikely. It could be due to humidity or any other random factor. More may still hatch out, so don't worry.
No after they hatched the eggs must have dislocated and fell onto the ones on the bottom. IT was a huge mess.