L4 Egyptian mantis nymph sexing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told L2/L3 when I got them, one has molted within days of arrival, the other hasn't. The larger one must have been L3 on arrival. The smaller one did molt and is still smaller. If I get some good photos, can you pinpoint exactly please?

I meant pinpoint the age, I know Its still a little early to be precise about the sex of them

L4 is when you can really start telling with these smaller species. L3 is still to early. If they are L4 and you get a good pic I can give it a shot.

L4 is when you can really start telling with these smaller species. L3 is still to early. If they are L4 and you get a good pic I can give it a shot.
I'll try to find a sheet of glass of something so I can get some high definition shots from underneath. There is a considerable size difference between them both

If you put them both near each other I can try and tell age.... at least if they are the same age or not.

If you put them both near each other I can try and tell age.... at least if they are the same age or not.
I'll try my best, I haven't let them loose near each other before for fear they'll freak out and attack. 

I don’t think it can change.
A few people told me they can't tell yet because the  end segments may fuse together, but when they reach a certain instar you can tell for sure. Trouble is identifying the exact age, as one has molted, the other has not. They were simply advertised as L2/L3 and one has molted since, so one is definitely no older than L4 and no younger than L3, but I can only go by the one that has molted. 

Latest posts