L6 Idolomantis diabolica

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
I just noticed for the first time by looking at these pics that they have spines that stick out of the sides of their front legs.

P7050494.jpg

P7050496.jpg

P7050497.jpg

P7050498.jpg

P7050504.jpg

P7050505.jpg

P7050509.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. Hopefully they make it to adult.

Thorax? I may need to look up my Manti-natomy! hehe

Is that the big shield part behind the head?

I always thought the "tail end" or possibly the "abdomen" (I could be waaay way off here and likely am!) Looked weird to me. How it "breathes" while the rest of the mantis is perfectly still!

Now I remember that about the last one I found in the backyard. I think he was molting. He was there for three days and then went about his business, but never left a cast off skin anywhere to be found!

Funny how little I know about these guys but I love them so much!

I just found out roaches lay ooth's too! Eww I don't like Ooths. lol. I have some roaches though, I wonder if I can just let some mantis free in the apt and the roaches disappear? I didn't ask for them, but sure didn't notice them when I moved in until it was too late. =(

Stupid new apartments. =P

I love that threat pose, is reminds me of a clown, :clown: clowns scare me. My 4 year old daughter, Estelle says it looks like a superhero! :shuriken: But still, mantid threat poses amuse, and interest me. That pose must definitely frighten animals! Anyhow they are beautiful! We love them. :D