lack of freeze, lack of synchrony?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent A

the autistic flower mantis
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey all,

so I reared a generation of Stagmomantis carolina from ooths collected in NY

the ooths were gathered in January and fridged for a few weeks. about 2 months later, the nymphs all came out at once

we got a good number of mating pairs at the end of our rearing and we kept some ooths. I incubated them at room temp for 6 weeks, then fridged for 2 months. I removed them late November and a month later, nymphs (3-5 at a time) have been coming out over the past several weeks. I am wondering, if the parent ooths froze outside, would this account for the burst hatching??

I think staggered hatching is just normal, something that just sometimes happens with mantids. Interesting idea that the cold could have something to do with it, though I’ve never heard about anything like that.

With my Carolina mantises that is normal that they hatch a little every day.  But all at once hatching like with Chinese mantises is weird for Carolina mantsies...  maybe you are right about the freezing temps cause all at once hatching.  Carolina mantises don't start hatching till May here in North Carolina, where I am.  Chinese mantises start hatching earliest in January from my experience (I saw L1 nymphs in January here before).

Last edited by a moderator: