Lack of oothecae

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rupicola

Reaction score
Hello! I'm quite a newbie in keeping and breeding mantids, so maybe I've panicked in vain...

However I hope for your help and there is my story.

My mantid is Hierodula transcaucasica. She was given to me on 26 August, a week after the last molt.

I've read many times that female mantids produce oothecae even if they are not mated. Mine's not, for sure.

I tried to mate her 2 weeks ago. The male was not much interested in her, though. He climbed at her, back to front, and remained there for 4 hours without any movement, until the female began to show signs of disturbance (later I was told that he rejected all the females he was introduced to, perhaps on account of his venerable age). I separated them and repeated again in 2 days. This was even poorer attempt. I gave a cockroach to the female to get her claws busy... and he tried to take it away! She got angry at that and... although I had tweezers nearby and separated them, it was too late, male's head had been bitten off.

I was very disappointed at that (it was the only chance to mate the female, this species is rare in aviculture and run out in the wild for this year), put male's body and the female in the container and withdrew not to see horrible scenes of male being eaten. After 2 hours or so I looked into the container and couldn't believe my eyes! Injured male was still alive, tried to connect to female's abdomen and finally succeded!

It was deep night, they began mating and I left them. Next morning wings were all that had remained from the male.

And now I can't wait to see her laying oothecae. She seems very bulk (actually, she had already been before meeting a male), she's voracious and eats much, however she doesn't want to produce any.

Questions:

1) She's an adult since mid-August, was mated once and still produced no oothecae. Is it normal? If not, what are the reasons? Humidity? OK, central heating makes air dry (and temperature high), but I spray her enclosure several times a day.

2) Is there any probability of her possible ootheca to be fertile? What's the deadline for a female after mating to lay a fertile ootheca?

Thanks a lot, if you have enough patience to read so "многа букв" (as being told in Russia).

The shot of my female is being attached. :))

IMG_93002.jpg

The female looks ready to produce an oothecae. Give her some time since all mantids differ from one another in the time they produce ooths. The ooth should be fertile since you witnessed yourself that the connection was made. I noticed that you used tweezers and I recommend you not use them unless you are extremely gentle. There is the potential to hurt/damage a mantid if you use tweezers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for your responses! :)

Actually, this picture was taken a month ago, and now her abdomen is SOOO large that she can hardly hold it above the ground. But still, I'll try to be even more patient and less nervous. One thing, that I'm really worried about is that she will die because of some strange disability to get out of her "burden".

I noticed that you used tweezers and I recommend you not use them unless you are extremely gentle. There is the potential to hurt/damage a mantid if you use tweezers.
Ntsees, I see, tweezers are not okay. I personally prefer hand-picking in daily routine. And what tool would you recommend to use to free a male from female's embrace?

So many beautiful mantids and their good owners I've seen!!! Here in Russia it's hard to find most of exotic species (I dream of Idolomantis diabolica, but understand that it requires more experienced keeper than me, and, more important, face with absence of Idols on domestic market (Thank God! Couldn't help buying it :-D).

To get a mantis to release something that it doesn't want to, I grasp the thorax and blow a couple quick hard breaths on it. More than half of the time, that has worked for me. :) I have used the "eye" end of a large sewing needle to try to pry the foreleg apart just enough to slip the object out of its grasp. I hate to do the needle thing because I am afraid that I may damage the forelegs. :unsure: I always try using my fingers first.

I've always just sprayed them with my water-misting bottle - they hate it and if I'm persistent, they relent. I've even tried a little "behavior modification" with it, too (spraying more aggressive ones when they look like they're stalking a cage mate) but I feel like a Bug-Nazi when I do it. :)

I've always just sprayed them with my water-misting bottle - they hate it and if I'm persistent, they relent. I've even tried a little "behavior modification" with it, too (spraying more aggressive ones when they look like they're stalking a cage mate) but I feel like a Bug-Nazi when I do it. :)
I will be trying that method next time I have a stubborn mantis that won't let go. :lol: I feel foolish for not having thought of it before. My spray bottle is always close by. :rolleyes: Now, I will have another step before breaking out the tools. B)

I use my spray bottle to turn down the volume of my senegal parrot. =) Perhaps, it would work for me in case of the mantid, too... However, when she is sprayed she usually begins to lick off water drops from her claws. I guess that shower is an excellent distractor, but I doubt it would compel her to move when transportation is needed.

Is she egg-bound?
I think so. =( Maybe her "egg canal" (don't know the exact term) is blocked or smth like that. At least, she's impermissibly fat, even for female mantid.

Latest posts