Large Black Spots On The Eyes

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacywhite75

Reaction score
A couple weeks two of my giant shield mantises started developing large black spots on their compound eyes. The spots seem to be getting bigger by the day. I bought these females as adults about a month ago and was told by the seller that they were only adults for a month and they haven't even laid eggs yet. I thought they looked much older. So basically I'm wondering if these spots mean the mantis is going blind and is this common when a mantis is nearing his final days. 

20210322_164941.jpg

20210322_164955.jpg

20210322_165003.jpg

20210322_165408.jpg

It happens when a mantis rubs its face against the enclosure (often because they're trying to get out) to the point where there is a black mark and damage to the facets of the eye. They can no longer see out of that part of the eye.

Can she still catch prey on her own? If so, you don't have to worry that much. Mantids have a large range of vision from their compound eyes so even though they can't see past that spot, usually they can still see what's around them, and they can still catch prey, and thus it is survivable. If it worsens to the point of blindness, which doesn't seem like it applies to this case, then you can resort to hand feeding (tweezers).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Tim. I have to put the insect in a certain spot so that she can see it and grab it. Otherwise she just doesn't see it so I have to hand feed her that way. And it's weird because even though she's not in any enclosure it seems that the black spot is getting bigger. Anyway I love her and she has a great home and I just know that I'm doing the best I can with her. I have one other with eye rub but it's not as bad. When I got them they had the eye rub already. I bought three female adults and I'm not sure what kind of environment they came from.

Latest posts