Large naturalistic enclosure observations

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does the mantis deal with the 'rain'? It seems to be a larger species then the ghost mantis I keep in my 12x12x12. My mantis freaks out when I just use a spray bottle threw the top screen. Don't think she would like a full blown rain at all...

Last edited by a moderator:
How does the mantis deal with the 'rain'? It seems to be a larger species then the ghost mantis I keep in my 12x12x12. I have a bonsai in mine, and I plan to add some moss, and some real ivy to it. My mantis freaks out when I just use a spray bottle threw the top screen. Don't think she would like a full blown rain at all...
She usually shudders a bit, then looks angrily at the nozzles. But after that she usually drinks from her raptorial arms. So even if she doesn't like it, she doesn't seem to be too annoyed by it. Then again, the "rain" only lasts for a few seconds each day.

Isn't it odd, for a couple hours u stayed away and just when u came back , u got to see her eat it!!!
She's a real entertainer, that's for sure. :lol: I didn't see her eat the flies though. They simply disappeared and she just got fatter. So that's more my deductive skills than an observation talking... :lol:

Tony, have you given any consideration into moving some Baka or Mbuti into that rain forest enclosure? I think it might help out with a number of things.

Tony, have you given any consideration into moving some Baka or Mbuti into that rain forest enclosure? I think it might help out with a number of things.
Please, no more mouths to feed! :lol:

Today marks the end of the first week of my orchid mantis' adventures in the enclosure. I've been quite fascinated by her movement pattern. So far, she seems to be exploring the enclosure in a somewhat systematic manner. Not once has she backtracked more than a few centimeters, instead she's been moving in a new direction all the time. I've only been observing this for seven days so it may be a coincidence but it makes me think of how bees seem to have some sort of systematic navigational aid (since they know which flowers they've visited).

hobbeshem2_move.JPG

This picture shows her movement pattern (approximated). The numbers represent the days since her introduction. Please excuse the drawing style, it's difficult to convey the three dimensions. She's been moving backward/upward, then along the background, then forward/right along the "log".

FYI: If you don't know what Baka or Mbuti are... here is a picture:
I know, that's why I was thinking that the usual catch of assorted grasshoppers and flies wouldn't be enough...

:lol:

I know, that's why I was thinking that the usual catch of assorted grasshoppers and flies wouldn't be enough... :lol:
lol

Speaking of interesting people from far away places... anyone here ever see the movie "Baraka"? If you're lucky enough to own a blu-ray player, it's one of the best HD movies I've ever seen though I've seen very few :p I found a real good deal online for blu-ray player if anyone wants to know. $150 for a Samsung. Got good reviews too and looks sharp as real life with some movies.

Today I've seen further indications that hunger triggers movement and more active hunting behavior. Over the past few days, the cold has made it hard to find suitable food outdoors and the local pet shops haven't had anything useful either. So I've fed my orchid mantis some small flies and a thin small insect of some sort. There are still fruit flies in the enclosure but she doesn't care for them anymore now that she's developed a taste for bigger prey.

Today the weather has been more favorable so I drove out to a nearby forest and caught seven fat flies. When I poured them into the enclosure, she was relatively thin (as opposed to being fat, not thin in the real sense). She immediately caught a fly since it was walking right in front of her. After finishing that one, she noticed the other flies buzzing around. This sparked more activity then I've seen in the past four days combined. She started to move towards the flies at a relatively quick pace, soon she had a new position high up among the foliage on the back wall. Shortly thereafter, she was munching on her second fly. When I checked in about 30 mins later, she had already caught a third fly. So not only did she move much more actively, she was also very successful, catching three lively flies in less than two hours.

Here's a link to a film clip showing her catch the second fly (the catch comes after 46 seconds):

EDIT: it is also possible that the more active hunting was triggered by a sense of urgency since she's due to molt on tuesday morning (assuming exactly two weeks since last molt).

This is the sunday of two surprises. I came home last night, just after 2 a.m., after attending a party at a friend's place. As usual, I checked the vivarium. I was relieved to see that my orchid mantis was finally molting. Then this morning, I was in for a surprise. There was my orchid mantis, but with wings! So, apparently the she is a he, and is now adult.

I guess it's back to segment counting practice... :lol:

He has hardly moved at all for 10 days and I was expecting a molt this week. It was interesting to see that he molted sitting on a leaf rather than trying to climb to the lid. Check the attached picture to see the old exoskeleton still hanging from the leaf.

hobbesmolt.JPG

hobbestor.JPG

This is the sunday of two surprises. I came home last night, just after 2 a.m., after attending a party at a friend's place. As usual, I checked the vivarium. I was relieved to see that my orchid mantis was finally molting. Then this morning, I was in for a surprise. There was my orchid mantis, but with wings! So, apparently the she is a he, and is now adult. I guess it's back to segment counting practice... :lol:

He has hardly moved at all for 10 days and I was expecting a molt this week. It was interesting to see that he molted sitting on a leaf rather than trying to climb to the lid. Check the attached picture to see the old exoskeleton still hanging from the leaf.
well, you need to find a mate for him now :rolleyes:

The second and half of the third week of movement tracking has been rather uneventful, most likely due to the molt that took place on Saturday night/Sunday morning. I noticed a sharp decrease in activity shortly after the last movement map was published here. After that, my mantis mostly stayed put, being far less interested in hunting than before. He did, however, go on one brief hunting session after I introduced two rather large flies. Both were caught in about half an hour, after that I observed very little movement.

During the molt process, the mantis moved from the site of the old exoskeleton, approx. 20-30 cm to a leaf to inflate his wings. He stayed there for the following 24 hours and has only moved a small distance since then. He has, however, started to be more interested in his surroundings again. I introduced several flying insects, which he is now observing.

The movement map covers the 1½ week following the last one (i.e. 10 days, Friday to Monday).

hobbeshem2_move2.JPG

EDIT; the movements of the previous week are left but in grey, for quick comparison.

Latest posts