Largest mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minard734

Reaction score
What are largest mantids you know of? Any mantid that is long or bulky. Please mention them here. Please tell the size in millimeters if possible. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Iscnomantis gigas ~170 mm

Toxodera maxima ~170 mm

Solygia sulcatifrons ~150 mm

Heterochaeta spp. ~140 mm

Macromantis sp. ~130 mm

Schizocephala bicornis ~130mm

Idolomantis diabolica ~120 mm

Plistospilota guineensis ~120 mm

Archimantis monstrosa (holotype) ~110 mm

Heaviest I'd say Macromantis, Rhombodera fratricida, or Plistospilota

Edit: These are the longest mantids I've seen. The ones listed are legitimate measurements, not this b.s. you read on wikipedia that a Chinese reaches 6". There are photos of each next to a ruler (not near a ruler or standing on one) so do a little searching and you'll find 'em.

Don't let people tell you species x gets to however long until you see one NEXT to a ruler or have an entomologist confirm it. There is a ton of bs going around about mantid size.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are largest mantids you know of? Any mantid that is long or bulky. Please mention them here. Please tell the size in millimeters if possible. :)
There's a post somewhere in this forum that addresses the largest mantid. Try searching for it.

Edit: These are the longest mantids I've seen. The ones listed are legitimate measurements, not this b.s. you read on wikipedia that a Chinese reaches 6". There are photos of each next to a ruler (not near a ruler or standing on one) so do a little searching and you'll find 'em.

Don't let people tell you species x gets to however long until you see one NEXT to a ruler or have an entomologist confirm it. There is a ton of bs going around about mantid size.
I have a chinese mantid that measures 105-106mm long. So it's not too far from being on your list... but it is far from 6 inches. 4 1/2 inches is usually as big as they get. Some dude on here claims to have quite a few 110mm specimens.

I have a chinese mantid that measures 105-106mm long. So it's not too far from being on your list... but it is far from 6 inches. 4 1/2 inches is usually as big as they get. Some dude on here claims to have quite a few 110mm specimens.
People often ignore Chinese because they aren't 'exotic', but there aren't many species bigger. Bear in mind that the list doesn't mention the other species in the Heterochaeta and Toxodera genre that reach 12+ cm, hence why I put spp.

I'd like to see a legitimate 11 cm Chinese...

You mean that I can't take what I find on the net as "gospel"?! That there are people out there who are full of ___?! *gasp*

Wikipedia is about the most annoying of the sites folks I run into quote. Trying to get through to them that anyone can post info to Wiki and so info there must be taken with a large block of salt is aggravating. Yeah it is a shame that one the one hand the net makes so much information easily accessible but on the other, you have to view it critically because -- as you said -- there's a lot of misinformation out there.