Largest mantis I've ever seen.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doktorhook

Reaction score
Well in my introduction I made a referance to a big mantis I found a long time ago as a teenager. I was probably 14 at the time. Now I know all species have their mutants & freaks & this was surely one of them. It was a chinese mantis, female I think, but it must have been a full 8" long!!

I don't remember exactly where I got here but I think it was in a cornfield. I do remember I was on my bike when I found her & I also remember the very painful attack it initiated. When she grabbed me with her foreclaws, they actually made me bleed. The main spikes must have been nearly a quarter of an inch long & I distinctly remember that on each foreleg, the main spike was surrounded on either side by by two slightly smaller ones.

If any mantis could catch a bird it was this one. It was simply amazing I kept her for a few hours & let her go. Since I have been fascinated with insects as a child & in particular, mantids, I'll never forget this one.

Anyway I know it may be a little hard to believe, especially since I'm new, but I swear to you it's the truth.

In Texas my aunt and uncles go to the creek and find HUGE religiosa and chinese.

Its common to find monsterous mantids in the wild :D

I was under the impression that chinese only got to be about 5 or 6 inches long which is big for any insect but perhaps that's a Standard not a maximum possible. In any case I distinctly remember how brutish it was.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :lol:

I think it was just your recollection or younger perspective making it seem so large. I used to think I also found them that big but now I know better.

lol, rick I knew that would come up. I understand where you're coming from but I'm a big guy. I was big back then too. Meat was cheap when I was growing up I suppose.

In all seriousness though I don't think that was the case. As I said, I have been interested in insects most of my life & in particular the mantids. Now I know I didn't ( & still do not) have the technical information that many other members here have. But I've caught quite a few number of mantids in my lifetime. None of them, & I mean none of them even came close to this beauty. But I can't say for 100% sure because I'm now 35 as opposed to 14. That mantis has been dead a long time now. What I should have done was put it in a kill jar & kept it. Then I'de of known how big it was for sure.

I don't think I could have done that back then though. I used to be a lot softer hearted than I am now.

lol, rick I knew that would come up. I understand where you're coming from but I'm a big guy. I was big back then too. Meat was cheap when I was growing up I suppose.In all seriousness though I don't think that was the case. As I said, I have been interested in insects most of my life & in particular the mantids. Now I know I didn't ( & still do not) have the technical information that many other members here have. But I've caught quite a few number of mantids in my lifetime. None of them, & I mean none of them even came close to this beauty. But I can't say for 100% sure because I'm now 35 as opposed to 14. That mantis has been dead a long time now. What I should have done was put it in a kill jar & kept it. Then I'de of known how big it was for sure.

I don't think I could have done that back then though. I used to be a lot softer hearted than I am now.
Well I used to also swear they were that big but they weren't and I know that now.

lol, rick I knew that would come up. I understand where you're coming from but I'm a big guy. I was big back then too. Meat was cheap when I was growing up I suppose.In all seriousness though I don't think that was the case. As I said, I have been interested in insects most of my life & in particular the mantids. Now I know I didn't ( & still do not) have the technical information that many other members here have. But I've caught quite a few number of mantids in my lifetime. None of them, & I mean none of them even came close to this beauty. But I can't say for 100% sure because I'm now 35 as opposed to 14. That mantis has been dead a long time now. What I should have done was put it in a kill jar & kept it. Then I'de of known how big it was for sure.

Well I used to also swear they were that big but they weren't and I know that now.
Whatever you say man.

:) Don't blame Rick, it's those darn companies that make rulers!

If you send me a specimen (dead is fine) of a 6 inch mantis from the United States I'll send you back $300. $1,000 for an 8" specimen (I'm sure I could offer $1,000,000 safely but I don't have that kind of cash).

:) Don't blame Rick, it's those darn companies that make rulers! If you send me a specimen (dead is fine) of a 6 inch mantis from the United States I'll send you back $300. $1,000 for an 8" specimen (I'm sure I could offer $1,000,000 safely but I don't have that kind of cash).
Well I will also keep my eyes out for that 8 incher Orin. But I know it's not gonna happen. :lol:

Well it's like I said, I didn't measure it. It was a guesstimate but it was bigger than any other mantid I have ever seen. I realise I could be off by as much as maybe an inch & a half but I'm telling you now it was longer than my outstretched hand ( lengthwise obviously). I just put it out there man. It's your perogative to believe or disbelieve.

Well it's like I said, I didn't measure it. It was a guesstimate but it was bigger than any other mantid I have ever seen. I realise I could be off by as much as maybe an inch & a half but I'm telling you know it was longer than my outstretched hand ( lengthwise obviously). I just put it out there man. It's your perogative to believe or disbelieve.
They are one of the largest mantids. Probably is the largest in the US. So I can see how it would of seemed that large looking back on it now. I have run across many people who said they saw a 6 or 8 inch mantis. But the truth is they just don't get that big.

Latest posts