Last Mantis Hanging On

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohaple

Reaction score
It has been over a year. We have kept 7 mantises for various periods in that time. One premature death, an L2 Giant Devil Mantis that fell while molting. Our male Giant Rainforest made it about a year. Our male Ghost made it about 11 months. One female ghost also made it about 11 months. Our male peacock mantis made it about 10 months.

We still have one female ghost. Moira was an L2 when we got her early last November. That means she is 13-14 months old. Still looking good and eating well. We got her from Patty. She eats primarily green banana roaches and isopods these days. She has a mesh-top bioactive enclosure (the type advertised for crested geckos) with a couple of bromeliads and a colony of giant canyon isopods and springtails. We always keep humidity between 50-65 and temperature around 72-75F.

We used to handle our mantises every week, but the fun of that has mostly worn off so we mostly leave her to herself these days. I just wanted to share our long-term experience. Patty provided good stock and was nice to work with. Ghost mantises are, like everyone here says, great for beginners. They are great for non-beginners. Moira is a little brute, even striking a second time while already holding some prey, ending up with two roaches at once.

She will probably be our last mantis for now. Our fish, shrimp, guinea pigs, cat, and dog are keeping us plenty busy. The educational experience was really my favorite part, and I hope we can share it with our kids some day.

I've never had a ghost mantis before. I should really get one. 
They are great. The giant rainforest was much more intense. Very active and a great hunter, but you never knew if he was going to try to strike you. The ghosts are much more tame. The peacock mantis we had was reliant on camouflage only and was very difficult to feed and handle.

Well, she passed away on new years. She was just a little L2 when we got her in October of 2018. She made it to 13-14 months and was rather healthy the entire time. No failed molts and almost never any vomit. She was a good hunter and even grabbed two cockroaches at once on a couple occasions. She was fed primarily fruit flies when young, then dubia and green babana roaches for most of her adult life. She got flies on occasion and would hunt giant canyon isopods in her enclosure sometimes. I always fed her feeders with Bug Burger, nutritional yeast, hardwood leaf litter, and scrap veggies. Overall I would consider it a success. After she molted to adulthood we tried not to handle her much and only fed her once a week unless her abdomen looked thin. You can see her as a nymph in my profile photo.

I have her and our male Ghost in storage to potentially mount and display with our giant rainforest mantis. Unfortunately the beautiful long crest on our male broke when he died. I just need a little bit to detach myself from them emotionally.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry for the loss of her :( Its great she lived so long! Watching them continue to thrive is the best part, I think. Just out of curiosity, you said "almost never any vomit". I've kept mantids for awhile but never heard that term. What does it mean, if you don't mind me asking?

Just out of curiosity, you said "almost never any vomit". I've kept mantids for awhile but never heard that term. What does it mean, if you don't mind me asking?
Occasionally, a mantis will either eat too much or eat bad prey and get an infection. The mantis will vomit up a liquid to rid itself of either the extra food or the toxins. The vomit usually makes a dark stain. If its bacterial, it will be darker and smell strongly, if its harmless, it will be a lighter brown and not smell.

- MantisGirl13 

Occasionally, a mantis will either eat too much or eat bad prey and get an infection. The mantis will vomit up a liquid to rid itself of either the extra food or the toxins. The vomit usually makes a dark stain. If its bacterial, it will be darker and smell strongly, if its harmless, it will be a lighter brown and not smell.

- MantisGirl13 
Oh wow, I've never heard of that before. Can grasshoppers and flies do this too? I recall seeing grasshoppers and flies "vomit" a dark liquid, but typically when stressed, such as when I've caught some flies in a cup to feed to my mantis lol. 

Yes,  Grasshoppers do vomit. bot mostly it is too late when they do that. I have seen that in my feeder grasshoppers.

I’ve never heard of flies doing it before but yes, grasshoppers regurgitate their foul smelling food to scare off predators.

Yes,  Grasshoppers do vomit. bot mostly it is too late when they do that. I have seen that in my feeder grasshoppers.
Thanks guys! I never knew mantids did that. Thanks for the new info! I suppose it'll stop me from panicking if I notice it in mine.

Thanks guys! I never knew mantids did that. Thanks for the new info! I suppose it'll stop me from panicking if I notice it in mine.
I was used to it from Carl, our giant rainforest mantis. If given the chance he would always overeat and then spit up on the sides of the enclosure. It was light brown in color and never smelled. Our ghost mantises seemed much less prone to this issue. I believe this differs from grasshoppers, which do it as a defensive mechanism.

I will post if I mount them.

I was used to it from Carl, our giant rainforest mantis. If given the chance he would always overeat and then spit up on the sides of the enclosure. It was light brown in color and never smelled. Our ghost mantises seemed much less prone to this issue. I believe this differs from grasshoppers, which do it as a defensive mechanism.

I will post if I mount them.
Okay cool! Do they always do this if they've overeaten? When I was younger I had a mantis and there was a TON of bugs outside, like lots, and I was catching them by the dozen and giving them to her. She ate so many that when she'd catch one she wouldn't even eat it, just touch it to her mouth and drop it. I never noticed any vomit, but is that just me not looking right? Just curious

Latest posts