Laying on his back!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMarie

Reaction score
Hi, this is the first time I've done this so hopefuly its right! We've had our Mantis for about 4 weeks, he has not molted yet and he's laying on his back on the floor of the cage for quite some time now. One of his hind legs looks to be bent funny, and he randomly sits up the top half of his body, but other than that is not moving. Is this normal?!? I don't know if he's hurt or whats happening, its our first Mantis and not only do I want him to live, I don't want to explain it to my son if he dies! Any advice is appreciated, THANK YOU! KMarie

I'm sorry but it doesn't look good. Either he or she fell during a molt or is randomly dying (like they do sometimes at young ages). Is it possible to post a picture so we can ID it at least. And about how large is it?

Hard to tell without a picture, but laying on its back is not good. Sadly, mantids sometimes have problems molting or die for no obvious reason.

Either way, you can easily get another one here by using the classifieds. Please also intro yourself to the group in the introductions forum.

Thanks for letting me know, even though I was secretly hoping he was just molting weirdly and not dying. If he is dying, how long will it take? Should i just leave him alone?

I will try to get some pictures up here today, however, he (I think its a he) is about 2 1/2 Inches long and is completely green.

If a mantis falls and can not right itself, it's usually not a good sign. :(

Try and pic him up and see what happens? Maybe it's just a little old, and weak to right itself?

Latest posts