Lazy Mantid!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradley7779

Reaction score
hi all,

just wondered if ' banjo ' is just being down right lazy or if there are other factors that are causing her to be this way.... well the problem is about 2 weeks ago she stopped eating for 3 - 4 days at a time, so i gave her a little bit of honey which she seemed to really enjoy to keep her going then one evening she wasn't looking very active so i hand fed her a locust which after running around scared like a headless chicken she eventually took it and ate it. The exact same thing happened again a few days ago except she just took it straight away... so is she just having me on thinking excellent i can just sit here all day until he feeds me?

she's about a year and a month old and still looks healthy enough. She is a giant asian mantid ( sorry dont remember the latin name lol ) .

She used to eat the same size locusts but im wondering now whether they might be a bit too big for her and whether to try her on smaller ones..

Thanks in advance for any input :D

Bradley.

Hi Bradley. Brace yourself to accept the fact that she is getting very well on in her age. She likely has lived so long due to your good care! ^_^ But her behaviour lately ("laziness," not eating consistently, etc.) suggests she is nearing her twilight. Unfortunately they can't hold on forever. Enjoy the time you have with her now and don't forget to take some more pics before it's too late. :wub:

Yea, she is getting tired, the handfeeding will keep her going, but eventually she will not take it...sorry.
It happens to people, too, I'm afraid Bradley. Let's see, what day is it today, Wednesday?. If I can find the strength to get out of my chair, maybe I'll make a nice bowl of oatmeal mush.....

It happens to people, too, I'm afraid Bradley. Let's see, what day is it today, Wednesday?. If I can find the strength to get out of my chair, maybe I'll make a nice bowl of oatmeal mush.....
The only difference is usually the span of time it takes to go downhill. With humans, they unfortunately sometimes drag on like that for years! Banjo has the best... the luxury of someone hand feeding her and caring for her every need. Whereas poor old Phil.... :rolleyes: :p :D

This may help Phil, make a bigger portion, and set it by your chair with just sugar and salt on it, when to weak to get up, just eat it dry :rolleyes:

Thanks all for all your advice everyone.. yeah it is a real shame but i suppose i knew that she would have to go at some point, it will be one sad sad morning when i find her no longer perched.. I really didn't think i would get attached to a mantid, a cat, a dog yes..

Well i've decided to throw her one heck of a sending off when the day comes beins as nearly everyone of my mates have grown attached to ' banjo ' and everyone of them were reluctant to handle her at first now she just chills on their shoulders when they pop round lol

Im just debating over whether I would have another mantid incase i get attached to the next one and be gutted once again a year down the line...

anyways enough of my emotional ramblings!!! :lol:

Im just debating over whether I would have another mantid incase i get attached to the next one and be gutted once again a year down the line...
It's not unusual to get attached to them... they are personable and can be a great joy to have around. If I were you, I would get another one. Losing the first one is the roughest. After that it gets easier, as your mind gets conditioned and better equipped from experience to expect and handle subsequent losses. I'd even consider getting one now... that way you won't be so "mantis empty" when she does go. Consider this also... I think she would want you to give another mantis the affection and care that you so kindly bestowed upon her. That would be a wonderful gift in her honor. :wub:

Hi. You should also try breeding the next one. That way it will seem like the mantis didn't die in vain, and you'll have a piece of the old one with you now.

Hi. You should also try breeding the next one. That way it will seem like the mantis didn't die in vain, and you'll have a piece of the old one with you now.
Agreed the name of your mantis will live on plus you can sell/give them away to other people who may want mantises.

Has banjo been lazy enough to demand you to "bring me a peeled grape" pretensiously...?

:D ;)

My mantis' like to climb up my arm, with a seemingly desirous look in their eyes as the try to leap into my beard.

They must think it's a bush, and are seeking critters in thar... :rolleyes: :D

When I put them down they immediately set off to climb my wireless antenna to the top of the room, and across the beam where the grow light hangs from, stopping and taking it all in, and seeming to feel vibrations and mentally logging the signatures from those specific surrounding areas.

Hi mantidlord,

I've tried for nearly 2 months now to find a male giant asian but to no avail, ive even posted in the sales/wants section. everywhere i look on the net seems to be shipping within the states and not to the uk :( but if anyone at all knows any breeders/friends etc that would sell one then i would gladly buy it and see if its not too late for her to breed .. she has only laid 1 ooth so far and i was under the impression that they usually lay upto 7 or 8 ... does anyone know if its too late to have ' banjo babies ' ?

really appreciate all your input guys n gals! :D

' banjo ' update: Went to hand feed her last night and to my amazement she has laid her 2nd ooth! so that may explain her going off her food recently.. it's such a shame that I cant find a male to mate with her, ive trawled the net to no avail .. does anyone have any suggestions of where i can try?

her clock is ticking!

thanks all in advance for any suggestions.. :D

Yeah, I have two adult male giant asians, but I live in the U.S. Sorry, wish I could help. I'm all about the mantis love. :p

I think I'd check the membership for members in the UK if I were you, and contact them and ask if they'd like to breed, mantis' . They may know someone in a similar situation as yours, that wants to breed, but has no mate, so I'd click on the members, in the heading over the forum messages/posts, and send some PM's out, and persue that angle.

' banjo ' update: Went to hand feed her last night and to my amazement she has laid her 2nd ooth! so that may explain her going off her food recently.. it's such a shame that I cant find a male to mate with her, ive trawled the net to no avail .. does anyone have any suggestions of where i can try?her clock is ticking!

thanks all in advance for any suggestions.. :D
Hi Bradley. :) When I saw you'd updated this thread, truthfully my heart sunk for you... as I thought I'd find much worse news about Banjo. It's a pleasant surprise, though bittersweet, that she's laid another ooth. But I'm glad to hear she's still hanging in there and doing Ok. ;)

Hi Bradley. :) When I saw you'd updated this thread, truthfully my heart sunk for you... as I thought I'd find much worse news about Banjo. It's a pleasant surprise, though bittersweet, that she's laid another ooth. But I'm glad to hear she's still hanging in there and doing Ok. ;)
excellent! Thank you all for the suggestions and i'll get on the case now... i'll drop a quick update on any success! :D

Latest posts