Leash?????

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucky for you, the Great Mantis Goddess (BbHN and note the caps) is in a humorous mood today, but burning an appropriate "just joking" candle (one of the puce ones) in front of her shrine won't do any harm. Better safe than sorry, I say.
Lol, Phil. :lol:

And I've never seen this done, but I think it'd be a little cruel. Or at least stress-causing. And I'd fret myself that I'd do damage to some part of the mantis, or they'd hurt themselves trying to get free. :unsure:

People do it with silkmoths to tether a calling female outdoors. But I wouldn't risk it, especially if they panic. Ouch!

Everyone has their own opinion on how pets could be used or treated, for their own amusement and the amusement of others.

I sometimes handle my mantids, and even bother them to try and get a threat display for a photo. Also, some of us go to great lengths to help some pets to eat, by dismembering feeders, and other unnatural means of feeding, I know I have. I am the type of person that still feels bad for the feeders, but I do what I do anyway.
:mellow: I do feel that some people might go too far when it comes to amusing themselves at "any" animal's expense, whether it is a pet vertabrate, or "just a bug".
I like to take into account the particular species, and what they can tolerate. My dog loves to get hooked up to a lead for a walk, but I am pretty sure the rest of my pets could do without any interaction from me, other than meeting their needs like feeding and keeping their containers clean.

I have had certain pet bugs that seemed mellow enough to tolerate something like a lead, but I can also imagine that many could become so stressed or frightened that they could be injured or even killed by that sort of treatment.

Or you could just put a fly in the freezer for a minute and then tie thread around it and carry it around. Fly on a string!

But in all seriousness, a leash would probably not be very practical. The reason we'd want to put a leash on a mantis is so that it doesn't get away. But think if a mantis was wearing a leash, and it tried to fly away. It would probably get tangled and end up getting hurt. So the only mantids we could put a leash on are the ones that wouldn't try to fly away. But then what's the point? They aren't going anywhere, anyway.

Still, it would be pretty cool to be able to go places with a mantis pinned to your shirt.

I really can't imagine a mantis taking well to it.

Dogs, ferrets, and pot-bellied pigs = yes

Mantids = no