leaving for a trip, will my mantis be okay without food for 10ish days?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaih0550

Enjoyer of all insects (except wasps)
Reaction score
im leaving on a trip and cant take my mantis with me. i usually feed him every 3 - 5 days, will he be okay missing a feeding or two? ive never left him for that long before.

edit: i have somebody whos going to water him while im away, but hes not comfortable handling insects.

Another option could be putting a cup with fly pupae in his enclosure for him to catch as they hatch out.
While that could work, I wouldn't want to feed my mantis food that hadn't been gut-loaded. That's about as nutritious as feeding him nothing. Though I suppose it's something compared to literal nothing. .-.

While that could work, I wouldn't want to feed my mantis food that hadn't been gut-loaded. That's about as nutritious as feeding him nothing. Though I suppose it's something compared to literal nothing. .-.
I guess one could leave a bit of food for the flies in their as well, but that could lead to other problems.

Those flies are plenty nutritious. They've been eating for their entire larval life.
Tom you know I love you very much but I have a question for you
how energetically costly do you think metamorphosis is? Do you realize emergent flies require food and water within about 12 hours because of how much of their larval nutrients they used up to turn into flies?

Tom you know I love you very much but I have a question for you
how energetically costly do you think metamorphosis is? Do you realize emergent flies require food and water within about 12 hours because of how much of their larval nutrients they used up to turn into flies?
Alright Alex. You've turned me around. I got the impression Wolven was shooting from the hip a little. If you're leaving for a trip and you've got no other option, I figured newly emerged flies are still better than no flies.

Last edited:
Alright Alex. You've turned me around. I got the impression Wolven was shooting from the hip a little. If you're leaving for a trip and you've got no other option, I figured newly emerged flies are still better than no flies.
yes, but don't get into a habit of using freshly eclosed flies as a staple!

I never gut load flies for mantids. What to you gut load with and why?
I use a mix of crested gecko diet, a nectar mix, and water crystals. Not gut-loading your flies leads to poor nutrition for mantises. You're essentially feeding them an empty shell. The nutrients you give the prey gets passed on the to the predator.

I use homemade fruit fly culture media to give the adult flies some nutrients and water. Is that considered gut loading? I don't know which nutrients mantids (or invertebrates in general) need, but this seems to keep them plump and juicy a little longer. The media contains sugar, brewer's yeast, and potato flakes.