leg problem

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elf run1

Reaction score
my friend came over and there was a problem with one of his mantids so i decided to post here and see if anyone will know what it is and what to do. i think it happened a while after its molt.

DSC09748.jpg

DSC09747.jpg

DSC09746.jpg

A bad molt can cause all kinds of weird deformities, so I'm sure that's what it was. Hopefully it will clear itself up with another molt

Oh, there's discoloration? Hard to tell from the pictures. I've heard of a disease like that with other species, but not sure with the Chinese. I'm sure someone else will ring in. Sorry!
whistling.gif

The leg might have been bothering the mantid, one of my Chinese was bothered by a foreleg, there was some blackness, but it chewed it off. One molt after it chewed again, then at the next molt a new small one appeared. The molt after that a funcional but smaller one is present. Hopefully it will take care of itself. I gave mine a little extra help with food, (on account that it was the foreleg) It is fine now with a little claw. I hope the best for the mantid. :) I hope that it is not more serious than my weird case.

The leg might have been bothering the mantid, one of my Chinese was bothered by a foreleg, there was some blackness, but it chewed it off. One molt after it chewed again, then at the next molt a new small one appeared. The molt after that a funcional but smaller one is present. Hopefully it will take care of itself. I gave mine a little extra help with food, (on account that it was the foreleg) It is fine now with a little claw. I hope the best for the mantid. :) I hope that it is not more serious than my weird case.
thanks, ill post later what happens.

At least it is not a foreleg or the back leg. They need the forelegs to grasp prey, and I have noticed that they hang mostly by the rear ones to molt.

That will not be a problem.

Also, please reduce the size of that sig picture. It is entirely too large.

Keep track of this because i had a mantis just a few weeks ago which developed "black foot syndrome" I call it and it spread to other feet to the point where she could walk but could not climb using her hind feet only her raptoral forelegs. :blink:

Keep track of this because i had a mantis just a few weeks ago which developed "black foot syndrome" I call it and it spread to other feet to the point where she could walk but could not climb using her hind feet only her raptoral forelegs. :blink:
That has happened to me often in the past with my adults, but I soon realized that it was me who caused it. Back then, I used to pull a mantid off whatever it was on when I wanted to take it off of something. I soon realized that this causes strain on the legs and the tarsus and in time, the tarsus would eventually become black and break off. Soon, they wouldn't be able to climb like usual. That was then though. Now, whenever I want to get a mantid, I just nudge it onto my hand/stick. It made a very big difference.

Latest posts