Legal Blaptica dubia

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,I was just wondering if it is legal to raise Blaptica dubia roaches in the united states?

Regards :rolleyes:
They are bought and sold all over (I recently got some from Katt) so there doesn't appear to a problem. Cockroaches, though, perhaps more than any other order, have a great capacity for escaping and establishing themselves in the wild. A good example is the Turkestan roach, Blatta lateralis. If you check a care sheet on this roach, you will find that it needs a temp of F80+ (C27+) and high humidity. However, it has become established along the S.W. U.S. border where the humidity is notoriously low and fall/winter temps normally drop into the low seventies or lower.

BTW, B. lateralis is also a good example of Gloger's Rule. Captive roaches, kept under hot, humid conditions, are very dark, while those living in the S.W. desert are quite pale. (There you go, lemmiwinks!).

Sorry, what was yr question again? :D :p :lol:

They are bought and sold all over (I recently got some from Katt) so there doesn't appear to a problem. Cockroaches, though, perhaps more than any other order, have a great capacity for escaping and establishing themselves in the wild. A good example is the Turkestan roach, Blatta lateralis. If you check a care sheet on this roach, you will find that it needs a temp of F80+ (C27+) and high humidity. However, it has become established along the S.W. U.S. border where the humidity is notoriously low and fall/winter temps normally drop into the low seventies or lower.BTW, B. lateralis is also a good example of Gloger's Rule. Captive roaches, kept under hot, humid conditions, are very dark, while those living in the S.W. desert are quite pale. (There you go, lemmiwinks!).

Sorry, what was yr question again? :D :p :lol:
Ha ha ha -.- <_< :lol: , as for the roaches, I'm sure they're legal, they sell them at reptile stores :p , at least mine anyway.

[SIZE=14pt]I know some roaches you cant have or ship to Fl, but us in the colder states we are cool with any I think, I think Peter & Orin would know what states they can ship to.[/SIZE]

last i checked up on it only hissing cockroaches were on the list of legal exotic roaches. the USDA considers anything that eats plant matter(living or dead) a pest species...maybe they are OK now its been a while but either way i doubt they would raided you for just dubia...

do you only want to feed legal roaches to your probably illegal mantis? :lol:

but just so you know dubia take forever to grow and to breed in my experience and i despise them now....not to mention the nasty musk they let out when you grab em

last i checked up on it only hissing cockroaches were on the list of legal exotic roaches. the USDA considers anything that eats plant matter(living or dead) a pest species...maybe they are OK now its been a while but either way i doubt they would raided you for just dubia...do you only want to feed legal roaches to your probably illegal mantis? :lol:

but just so you know dubia take forever to grow and to breed in my experience and i despise them now....not to mention the nasty musk they let out when you grab em
lemme doubt about the fact you ever had dubias buddy

they do not let some nasty musk out when you grab them

you are right about 1 thing, they do reproduce slowyer than most other species, but unless you tried starting a colony with 20roach, you re completely off... I started with 300 dubias a year ago and now I have a few thousands...

compared to other roaches, they only have good sides IMHO

no climbing, no stinking, no eggs, no crying, no dieing, no escaping, etc etc etc

you can obviously know just by my name I LOVE dubias :)

dude they musk dont lie....your only saying that for the sake of well...your screen name/sales no need to lie to the people....THEY MUSK!

oh and yes i had a large colony of them and out of spite gave them to my chickens for my own sick amusement since no one would buy them muwhahahaha

dude they musk dont lie....your only saying that for the sake of well...your screen name/sales no need to lie to the people....THEY MUSK!
[SIZE=14pt]ya they do have a sweet musk I think it not as bad as others or crickets, but they like furit that gets me, but my hisser make babys like hood-rat mommas "ha ha ha" and they have a sweetish smell too.[/SIZE]

mine didnt have a sweet fruity musk :( though i did only feed them vegtables and game bird starter. no fruit maybe what they eat effects the way the musk smells? mine gave off like a fumey scent that would take your breath.. not freebreeze shooting out of there ###### :lol:

just thought of something. have the lungs of a 35 year old smoker and allergic to cockroach allergens....maybe i just experience it differently than others.. ;)

I was just wondering if it is legal to raise Blaptica dubia roaches in the united states?
Considering I know of a few VERY reputable pet stores that sell Dubias, it most certainly is. I've been buying the Dubias I use at home and at work from a breeder in Indiana, and they are so wonderfully easy to take care of. Watch out if fruit flies move into your colony, though! My roommate's Dubia colony met with a very messy end when fruit flies decided they liked the roaches' food... and possibly the roaches AS food (we're not sure if the fruit fly maggots were eating the roaches, or if they had brought in a disease, but either way, the Dubias ended up very much dead). I almost lost my colony at work to the same infestation, but fortunately I caught it in time and was able to eradicate the flies.

gosh you should totally buy my roaches then, they don't let musk out much if they even do! they don't even smell...

i have well over 2thousands in a blue bin in my living room, and none of my guests every noticed a smell... !

I didn't know FF could kill dubias... maybe it was a disease as you are saying, but I have heard a lot that mold can kill them too!

Latest posts