Let's see the craft behind the member

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickfraser

Reaction score
What's your craft???? Post photos of your work and explain your process.

I do wire wrapping and electroforming copper jewelry. Previously discussed here. http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=24170

Wait til you see the crafty thing I've got brewing (electroforming). It has been soaking for about 2 days and I think it's about time to take it out and give it a tumble.

DSCN7786_zps840a627a.jpg

I did a trade quite some time ago and received these cool beetle wing dangle earrings. I got like 6-7 pair and thought I gave them all away. Well I found another pair and decided to use some of the wings and electroform a pendant.

First, I got a decent matched pair and glued them together (slightly overlapping in the middle), then I attached a copper jump ring (bail). After that set out to dry, I then glued a cool opal vaseline glass stone. After that set out to dry..(lol. there's a lot of waiting involved. This isn't instant gratification, but the results are worth the wait)...I painted (with copper conductive paint) the edges of the wings, the entire backside, a stripe down the center "seam", and arount the glued on stone. It was a rather messy paint job, so after that dried I got out my dremel and sanded to smooth the lines in the paint and reveal more wing color.

I had something else going at the moment, but just knew this pendant would be next.

This is a mushroom pendant I had made and just thought electroforming it would probably be cool. Boy, was I right. The copper attached to the wire between the beads and grew copper nubs all over. Very organic and it really sparkles.

DSCN7798_zps391cc4ca.jpg

DSCN7797_zps9ed796f7.jpg

I put it into a solution of copper sulphate and attached the rectifier. Positive is attached to the copper to transfer (anode) (I use junk wire and scrap that I have saved up) and negative is attached to a wire holding the piece to take the copper (cathode). The rectifier is set to .1 amp per sq inch to plate (recommended for smooth an consistent plating, but I bump it up for more organic "growth". as seen above (is it there yet? lol). Then you just leave it and check it once in a while. I looked this morning and there was still some space needing plating on the back, but I felt it would be ready this afternoon.

DSCN7785_zps98b564f8.jpg

This is the pendant straight out of the solution. Very unique looking, but a lot of the growth will be tumbled away. It looks like it will have a very bumpy texture.

DSCN7787_zps1e6bec5c.jpg

DSCN7788_zpsb4eff645.jpg

This is the fresh pendant with a similarly painted pattern on a smaller set of wings using a smaller stone.

DSCN7792_zpsa2cd8662.jpg

It starts to oxidize and darken quickly, but there is lots of shine under that dull salmon color.

DSCN7807_zps105c02fe.jpg

...and off into the tumbler we go. What's going to come out? It always surprises me and I amaze myself, again.

DSCN7810_zps69c21cec.jpg

DSCN7823_zpsbaed99e7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple other things I've made recently. The key is just wire wrap and electroform, I really like the look. The other little pendant is something I just threw together. Just a random bending pattern with a random assortment of beads wire wrapped and electroformed.

DSCN7812_zps4057545d.jpg

DSCN7804_zpsf47457fd.jpg

This is what I have going now.

DSCN7819_zps990c813b.jpg

The wire was getting pretty pretty low (in the first picture copper scrap is being held together by a coated copper wire attached to the rectifier) , so I made a more proper anode. It is just a long copper wire spiraled to corkscrew into the bottle and around the inside of the jar. I like it better because I think it better distributes the copper evenly all around, as opposed to on just one side.

DSCN7815_zps22b5677a.jpg

DSCN7822_zps14c6485d.jpg

I think these will be cool electroformed.

DSCN7824_zps7fc81ab3.jpg

DSCN7825_zpsa42c3194.jpg

PLUS I have a whole bag of other stuff to play with.

DSCN7826_zps515bf204.jpg

What's coming out of the tumbler??? Stay tuned and cross your fingers it holds up. :clover:

Beautiful work!! Metal working is one of those things I've never tried, nor do I think I'd have the chops to successfully attempt! Kudos * U* you have some lovely pieces!! (that mushroom pendant is my favorite!)

As I've mentioned a couple of times before, I'm an illustrator! I paint digital and traditional illustrations! :>

Here are some digital ones!:

(A piece commissioned by a private client; photoshop)
tumblr_mwblzmsR0N1qfd61lo1_1280.jpg

(personal work; photoshop)

tumblr_mstp2xBvXV1qfd61lo9_1280.jpg

And here are some traditional ("real" media) paintings!:

(A piece commissioned by a private client; acrylic ink on wood board.)
tumblr_mt6un86MnO1qfd61lo1_r1_500.jpg

(Personal work; acrylic paint on wood board)
tumblr_m5s5hbmbUB1rnwivho1_1280.jpg

And here are some photos of that last piece during its progress! :D

tumblr_m587mdTYvf1qfd61lo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m5a06bo5uO1qfd61lo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m5j6ufDxdd1qfd61lo1_1280.jpg

Oh yeah, this is also pretty cool! It's a progress gif of this image--it shows off stages of my process on digital illustrations!:
tumblr_mg34mgvOnB1qfd61lo1_500.gif

This is a neat idea for a forum thread! :D I look forward to seeing the creative and crafty outlets of other users here!!

Different strokes for different folks, :lol: I have never been any good at drawing/illustrating. Great work.

I just checked on the pendant and it did not hold up in the tumbler. The paint didn't adhere well to the smoothness of the wing or stone and the glue didn't hold well either. It kind of fell apart. I have the smaller one to do and can re-use the wings and stone from this one. Live and learn then move forward.

Ok, so I'm totally a novice at this (I've only been doing it a few months) but I've taken up whittling. Since I work at school I thought I'd try it and bring in what I carve for the kids, the teachers said they wanted sea creatures so that's what most of them are.

Here's my first really simple whale:

CAM00531_zps6dbd8392.jpg

Then a fish:

CAM00578_zps772a21ac.jpg

Sea turtle:

CAM00509_zpsf92e10da.jpg

Shark 1:

CAM00537_zpsc2f45f42.jpg

Shark 2 (painted by my wife):

CAM00591_zpsf54f0f5c.jpg

Sea snail:

CAM00557_zps9d29235c.jpg

Sea horse:

CAM00589_zpsebde157d.jpg

One of my mom's chickens (again painted by my wife):

CAM00593_zps144e603b.jpg

Sister's cat:

CAM00586_zpsed352e19.jpg

Bear:

CAM00630_zpsfc5f699c.jpg

oh no! Those carvings are too cute!!

The sea turtle and smiley shark melts my heart :'] <3 these are excellent!!

You guys are very talented and it is nice to see your work. Thanks for the idea to post these Scott. Keep it up. I may get around to posting some in the future.

I love the carvings, u r getting really good at it. My dad did carvings, I will post pic of a ship he did if I can unpack it.

Lamps are what I ment, I gather lamp and parts and then make something out of them. Nothin special, but I love them. Milk glass is

a fav of mine and so is copper. The floor lamp is made from many pieces and conduit I cut and painted. U have to pretend it has its globes on it as I have just packed them up.

The small lamp is electric. The table lamp is a for candles. The milk glass is pegged and u put the candle in it and then the globe over it. Only found one of each I unpacked for the pics. All of this is from other lamps.

IMG_20140312_142526_7471.jpg

IMG_20140312_141448_7791.jpg

IMG_20140312_135639_6032.jpg

Rebecca, your things are beautiful! Do you sell your lamps? And maybe we can talk trade, my yarn for your mantids? I spin exotics, angora, baby alpaca etc....

I don't sell them as of yet, I don't get enough time to make many, plus my son wants an old fashion lamp and I have like 5 to remake and my sister does too, so hopefully for I die, I can do them....

I can't even imagine what skill it would take to do what u do. My work may be nice, but would be a waste to use something like u make on my things.

PS... I hope I did not hijack this post, but I have enjoyed stopping work to take pics of some things I do.

I teach my grandkids how to do embroidery and sewing, cooking and wood work, here is a piece my grandson did last weekend on my band saw. This was his third try on using it and he did good! ps this is him with his pillowcase we made with his emb he started when he was 3 or 4. Good thing we took pic as his mother threw it away. :{

IMG_20140313_123413_0521.jpg

100_0572-1.JPG

I can't even imagine what skill it would take to do what u do. My work may be nice, but would be a waste to use something like u make on my things.

PS... I hope I did not hijack this post, but I have enjoyed stopping work to take pics of some things I do.

My yarn would not be wasted on your things!

I teach my grandkids how to do embroidery and sewing, cooking and wood work, here is a piece my grandson did last weekend on my band saw. This was his third try on using it and he did good! ps this is him with his pillowcase we made with his emb he started when he was 3 or 4. Good thing we took pic as his mother threw it away. :{

Im glad you teach those skills, people dont really do that anymore. Its sad those skills are not taught anymore. And how could his mother throw that away? Its pretty! Keep up the teaching!

Here's a few carvings I missed (these were painted by my coworker):

Eel

Sting ray

These I posted the unpainted pics already

Sea snail

Sea turtle

Latest posts