let's start a thread of mundane occurrences!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had another alligator in our neighborhood last evening (lots of street flooding this week) and a large black throated Savannah monitor was caught not far away. The iguana population has also exploded. Local conservationists have discussed the possibility of capturing and eating the iguanas. Restaurants started serving the invasive lionfish a few years ago... looks like iguana may be added to some menus.

They say it tastes like chicken. 🥺

We had another alligator in our neighborhood last evening (lots of street flooding this week) and a large black throated Savannah monitor was caught not far away. The iguana population has also exploded. Local conservationists have discussed the possibility of capturing and eating the iguanas. Restaurants started serving the invasive lionfish a few years ago... looks like iguana may be added to some menus.

I'd like to plan a trip down there and catch an invasive chameleon. Of course, it would probably be easier to just buy one.

I'd like to plan a trip down there and catch an invasive chameleon. Of course, it would probably be easier to just buy one.
We've seen a number of crested geckos as well, but they haven't overrun the place. I imagine they were released by the owners. They are quite beautiful. One of my friends had one at her office window, but I didn't want to ask her to catch it for me. 😀

Roaches would love them. I just gave my beetles a cherry, not gonna put my hand in there to take it back!
I've given my roachies peaches a couple of times, but they weren't well received. It's hard to find peaches that are sweet so neither of have had luck enjoying them lol. Strawberries are the same if the one I gave them isn't sweet.

Chicken is one of my favorites. Time to go bowhunting! Joking aside, I know people who keep these guys as pets or just like lizards wouldn't want to kill them. Irresponsible owners have released them and now the iguanas (and their young) have to suffer for it. Hunting is likely the best way we can cull the population unfortunately. I highly doubt capturing them and returning them to the pet trade would work. Economically, most people would not believe it to be worth the time and effort. Many would have to be socialized and the reptile hobby is a lot smaller than the food businesses in the area I imagine. Restaurants selling them as food appear to be the most economically beneficial. It would also help the local conservationists money-wise as they would possibly experience a boom in hunting. Then they get to sell hunting licenses and whatnot.

Sadly, there is not much we can do for the iguanas unless the reptile hobby decided to step in and take responsibility for them.

today is going ok despite yesterday (I spent all day in Denver, but Adrian got moved in and we ended up finding their dog! very nice dog, didn't return home until like 2am)
got up around noon, and i finally got some sleep (hadn't slept since Saturday), then I finally pooped again, and then I went to meet my advisor, where we discussed my dissertation proposal and now I have a good idea of how to get it finished by October, and now i'm watching an episode of "Good Trouble" before I feed the leps, mist the critters, take a bath, and wash some animal dishes.
I'd generally be doing even more during the day but i'm EXHAUSTED

I visited our local reptile store (family owned) and bought some substrate and cricket keeper I didn’t need! It was half off though so I couldn’t resist.

My parents just burned my $80 worth of red runners. There was 200+. I'm going to kill someone.

Note, they escaped their deli cups and it's no one's fault.

my roommate almost burned our house down today
in other news, i made myself a DELICIOUS frappe with protein powder in it today
I'd like to create a microclimate in the house. A place for pets. A small room or closet with consistent temperature and humidity year-around. Some folks use a space heater for that, but instruction manuals always say, "Never leave heater unattended." I guess there's a potential fire risk.

We set the thermostat kind of low in the winter to keep the heating bills under control. I don't think mantises (or feeders) would thrive in that environment.

my 2 mature axolotls are in my bathroom. normally, the 10yo female, Tortilla, will watch anyone and everyone as they use my toilet, while Agave, the 5yo male, ignores them
well, today, Agave watched me poop while Tortilla ignored me

I'd like to create a microclimate in the house. A place for pets. A small room or closet with consistent temperature and humidity year-around. Some folks use a space heater for that, but instruction manuals always say, "Never leave heater unattended." I guess there's a potential fire risk.

We set the thermostat kind of low in the winter to keep the heating bills under control. I don't think mantises (or feeders) would thrive in that environment.
You could set up some kind of heat lamp with a thermostat.