Light trap in Texas

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow thats alot of bugs! there were some cool ones on there. ok i have to know... ###### is a mantidfly?

Rick, I agree, we have a lot of them in ohio too. Yen, hope u guys had great fun, I think u took the best two back with you!
I agree they look cool on close up. Moth probbaly looks scary in close up though :D

Some nice finds there mate :D The mantidfly is very cool

Gives me ideas of trying this down the village nature reserve
Thanks Craig. Few members here interested in how to assemble one i will post up a thread later.

Yes, me too (around here), Gurd. ;) I can see it now.... MantidForum members around the world with sheets and lights in hand! :lol:
:D yeah. It could be as easy as switching your car head light on a piece of white cloth. But mercury vapor and white blacklight work the best.

:D

I have no idea you could do that!! :lol:

Ok, well here is the mantis everyone (Rick i was hoping you could find it ;) )

whereismantis1.jpg

and the carpenter queen ants lay more eggs!

egg2.jpg

housing10.jpg

housing9.jpg

It's a caddishfly(Trichoptera).I heard from Fisherman_Brazil that you will come to Taiwan soon. Maybe we can take another light trap together if you have enough time here :D .
Thanks eaglewarrior :)

Yes that is the plan. But until now i only bought the ticket to Malaysia and Hong Kong, trying to squeeze in a trip from HK to Taiwan too. can't promise you with the light trap in Taiwan but definitely looking forward to visit you all. :)

ROFL!!!I was drinking soda as I was catching up on the forums and soda went up my nose I laughed so hard!!!

I love you, Kat!!!

LOL

-Dinora
Ooops... :unsure: sorry, Dinora! :rolleyes: I'll try to watch what I post.... We just got you back, and I don't want to send you back to the hospital for choking/drowning on soda!!! :eek: ;) :lol: And awwww........ :wub: We all love you too!!! ;)

It's a caddishfly(Trichoptera).I heard from Fisherman_Brazil that you will come to Taiwan soon. Maybe we can take another light trap together if you have enough time here :D .
Yep, it came right out of that pond!

Is yr kid still interested in insects, Yen? If so, he can make a "designer" cadisworm case for his mom! The larvae (you are probably familiar with them), live on the borders of ponds and in shallow streams and build their own protective case. They crawl around fairly slowly, looking like a very thin, short twig. If you don't see any, try scooping out some mud and passing it through a sieve. They have hooks on the end of their tails to stop them from being pulled out of their case, but it's pretty easy to push them out backwards with a blunted stick. If he keeps them in a small aquarium or bowl of pondwater, with a substrate of fine colored gravel or seed beads, they will make new cases out of that material! Have fun! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, thats very neat! I've always heard of using a light trap to attract insects at night but never actually seen it in action! Should try that up here in washington and see what I net. Looking forward to more light trap diaries :lol:

Awesome finds, Yen and a great tutorial on making the light set up! I hope to spend a few weeks blacklighting in the West, this summer. I'm doing a short trip to Southern Oregon in two weeks. I was a bit late for the good stuff last year in AZ (the rains came early), but we had a few items come to the sheets.

Are you taking your set up to Arizona this summer?

ROFL!!!I was drinking soda as I was catching up on the forums and soda went up my nose I laughed so hard!!!

I love you, Kat!!!

LOL

-Dinora
Hey Dinora, glad to see you back here! :)

Yep, it came right out of that pond! Is yr kid still interested in insects, Yen? If so, he can make a "designer" cadisworm case for his mom! The larvae (you are probably familiar with them), live on the borders of ponds and in shallow streams and build their own protective case. They crawl around fairly slowly, looking like a very thin, short twig. If you don't see any, try scooping out some mud and passing it through a sieve. They have hooks on the end of their tails to stop them from being pulled out of their case, but it's pretty easy to push them out backwards with a blunted stick. If he keeps them in a small aquarium or bowl of pondwater, with a substrate of fine colored gravel or seed beads, they will make new cases out of that material! Have fun! :p
Yup he is the reason i started with mantis :) i am more familiar with the dragonfly larvae though! Thanks for sharing the info :)

Awesome finds, Yen and a great tutorial on making the light set up! I hope to spend a few weeks blacklighting in the West, this summer. I'm doing a short trip to Southern Oregon in two weeks. I was a bit late for the good stuff last year in AZ (the rains came early), but we had a few items come to the sheets.
NIce video Peter! Lot of bugs there! Wish i could join you there last year.

The structure itself can be taken apart and fit into a bag, but the white blacklight and generator is impossible to bring to AZ by flight unless i drive there so i will not bring the set up to AZ.

Have to disagree if googles everyones friend then what is the point in forums ;)
Google will lead you to forums... where lots of the best info is! You just have to search for it, and Google is a fine tool for finding those forums. How else might you find info "hidden" in forums, or even find the forums themselves, other than a search engine if you're not already familiar with them?

Lol, google leads you to the forums, and the forums lead you to google :p

Never ending circle lol

But there really is nothing wrong with people posting their questions, unless there stupid ones like "do mantids shed their skins".

But if people should use google for all their questions then a forum might aswell be locked up for good once all the questions have been answered ;)

Latest posts