Lightning bugs?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorcham427

Reaction score
Chameleons will die from eating these... what about mantids? There are tons here in NJ....

I really don't know why people keep asking if things are safe to feed. If it isn't obviously dangerous like a large bee then give it a try. If the mantis cannot or should not eat it they will know and drop it.

In this case I know these are safe.

Not sure if this is significant as far as mantids go, because they will spit out certain parts. But the "light" that lighting bugs make is produced through chemical reactions, and those chemical/bacteria they use is known to be toxic to reptiles. If I were you I would be weary when feeding them, but again, mantids know where/what/when to not eat something, so who knows, but why risk it.

Not sure if this is significant as far as mantids go, because they will spit out certain parts. But the "light" that lighting bugs make is produced through chemical reactions, and those chemical/bacteria they use is known to be toxic to reptiles. If I were you I would be weary when feeding them, but again, mantids know where/what/when to not eat something, so who knows, but why risk it.
It has been done on here. Andrew took pics at night of the lightning bug going down. The mantids insides were glowing. There were no ill effects.

EDIT: Here is that thread with the pics: http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14310&st=0&p=95813&fromsearch=1entry95813

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been done on here. Andrew took pics at night of the lightning bug going down. The mantids insides were glowing. There were no ill effects.

EDIT: Here is that thread with the pics: http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14310&st=0&p=95813&fromsearch=1entry95813
LOL the mantid's insides were glowing?!?! thats siiick! lol im cautious because i have tons of idolos, and i dont want to loose any of them due to lack of knowledge.. mmmk.. lol thanks guys.

Those pics are insane! :blink: :lol: I think that has answered your question. I always find plenty of drained Lightning bugs caught in orb weaver webs.

Latest posts