Limbata acting strange

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.mena

Reaction score
So I've had a wild caught Stagmomantis limbata for about a month or so. The mantis that got me in to mantids. About a week and a half ago I bred her with some wild caught males. 

Today I was doing everyone's feedings. Then I noticed that she was walking around like she was drunk. Everytime she tried climbing up the glass she falls backwards. Then struggles to flip back over. 

My question is what could be wrong with her? Isn't it a little too early in the season for them to die off? I have no idea how old, but she was an adult when I got her. She hasn't layed any ooths. She did eat a fly today, but is the symptoms a sign of her dying? Anything I can do? 

Depends on how old she is really... she could be dying of old age. She could be dying from being egg bound. Perhaps she is getting ready to lay an ooth. Does it look like her abdomen is full? Although a ooth laying mantis usually doesn't act like that. Just kinda hangs in one spot pumping her abdomen.

I just figured since she is native that her life cycle would be the same as all the others in the area. Which I thought they died around December. Maybe she is egg bound. Don't really know if I can do anything about that. 

She is hanging from the screen now and looks normal, but that was really strange. 

I spray her a few times a week. So I think she has enough water

Ok I think I solved the mystery. She laid an ooth today. The behavior was strange, but she seems good now

Yeah, makes sense. My carolina that's about to lay has been walking around very clumsily. Hope she's about to lay a giant!

Latest posts