Litaneutria minor

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After more than 7 months incubating. The first ground mantis nymph hatched. The mother was collected during the trip to Tucson, AZ last Summer. The oothecae were left outdoor during the entire winter months.

L1d.jpg

L1b.jpg

L1e.jpg

Seven months, huh? :huh: Hehe... good thing all mantid ooths don't take that long! A person could almost forget that they have one of these, lol. :p

Do they hatch out a few at a time over a long period, instead of burst hatching? Do you know the species? I like the face on it... it appears to come down into a very pointed triangular mouth. Cute! Thanks for sharing pics of the little one! :)

Very nice! I also want to see the adults now...I guess I have to make friends with google lol

Adult female

LMf3.jpg

groundfemale8.jpg

I sent her to the museum for the Hug a Bug event and left the adult female there ever since.

This is the only adult male captured in AZ last year

groundmale1.jpg

Only one nymph hatches at a time. I suspect the hatching pattern to be some what similar to Yersiniops sophronica species collected in AZ too where only one or two nymphs hatch out every week.

Nice work mate :D

Very interesting how the hatching stratergy of Yersiniops sophronica and possibly this species is the complete opposite to the majority of mantid species.

The L. minor ootheca is about 1 cm long. Probably around 20 eggs could be stored in a single ootheca.

ooth7.jpg

The hatchling is pretty small with small front legs but they are not as timid as Yersiniops spp. as mine chase down D. melanogaster flies.

Latest posts