Litaneutria minor

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ns22

Reaction score
Litaneutria minor on my math book. Found (him, her?) on a palm tree in my yard, about 4 feet up. Is it normal for them to be so high off the ground? 

image.jpeg

Not sure for that particular species, especially as it is a "ground mantis"; however, if it was escaping danger or finding prey sounds like typical mantid behavior.

I've captured many Stagmomantis carolina mantids about 15'-20' in a tree, and even got one of their ooths from about 30' up in a tree (photo of it in section 6.5 here). So a ground mantid being a few feet up from the ground sounds normal. ;)

Are you going to keep it as a pet or just for a few days?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice spot! I haven't seen any adult female ground mantis above 2 feet above ground but they will climb any height to look for food. Adult male has been found at any elevation even to the building top when attracted by lights.

Nice spot! I haven't seen any adult female ground mantis above 2 feet above ground but they will climb any height to look for food. Adult male has been found at any elevation even to the building top when attracted by lights.
Thanks! Also, do you know the gender? I think it's a male, but I'm not sure. It looks like a subadult.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I always feel a bit envious when members post that they've found a wild mantis. We don't have them in the UK unfortunately. My brother has a house in France and he gets them in his garden. He's over there now for the summer break and before he went I gave him an enclosure and strict instructions to keep an eye out and bring one back if he could. Fingers crossed!

I always feel a bit envious when members post that they've found a wild mantis. We don't have them in the UK unfortunately. My brother has a house in France and he gets them in his garden. He's over there now for the summer break and before he went I gave him an enclosure and strict instructions to keep an eye out and bring one back if he could. Fingers crossed!
Hopefully your brother brings you several back. :D In the meantime perhaps you should buy some Tesco Sage, or just visit BugzUK.com (not free but some low prices). I wonder why there are no mantids in the wild in the UK though, seems strange.

Good Luck!

Latest posts