Little awkward :)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devetaki9

Reaction score
I have a question everyone, my male budwing seems INCREDIBLY friendly to my finger.... He seems to either think its a girl budwing or he really likes me >.< I believe many species of animals can bond with humans, but could a mantis be quite fond of his human friend or is it just the time of year lol....

He is about 4mths and I got him when he was teeny. I thought they were triggered by the females pheromones though?

How many weeks is he adult I meant lol :) ....I mean USUALLY they are triggered by the females' pheromones...but if the male is yearning for some love a finger or stick will trick them into the mood...

Trying to work on a website and he absolutely refuses to go back in his home. They are the most incredible little creatures :)

My males do this all the time this is good though,usually I choose those males for mating as they already have the basic idea and will be easier to get to connect on a female,kind of hurts when its a larger species though as they're harder to get off lol

Video, please? :)

EDIT: Grrr, internet. :( My mom told me about the reptilian brain from a college class she had taken. All mammals have them, along with other categories, so I suspected it was the same with mantids, too. Did an internet search and it came up saying that they do have reptilian brains...

Well, now we know. Thanks, AndrewNisip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Video, please? :)

Mantids, along with humans, mammals, repiles, fish, etc. have a reptilian brain. They have programmed survival responses and instincts. They don't feel "love" or attatchment. The attraction to female mantids, however, is an instinct. The only difference is that humans have more than just a reptilian brain.
very interesting. i have not heard about this reptilian brain theory( i guess thats what you would call it ) ill be looking into that for sure!!

Mantises don't have a "reptilian brain." That is something only found in vertebrates. Insects have an entirely unique apparatus.

The insect brain resides in the head, located dorsally. It consists of three pairs of lobes. These lobes are fused ganglia, clusters of neurons that process sensory information. Each lobe controls different activities or functions.

The first lobe, called the protocerebrum, connects via nerves to the compound eyes and the ocelli. The protocerebrum controls sight.

The middle lobe, the deutocerebrum, innervates the antennae Through neural impulses from the antennae, the insect may collect odor and taste cues, tactile sensations, or even environmental information like temperature or humidity.

The third lobe, the tritocerebrum, performs several functions. It connects to the labrum (an insect's movable upper lip) and integrates sensory information from the other two brain lobes. The tritocerebrum also connects the brain to the stomodaeal nervous system, which functions separately to innervate most of the insect's organs.

Other ganglia throughout its body control most of the overt behaviors we observe in insects. Thoracic ganglia control locomotion, and abdominal ganglia control reproduction and other functions of the abdomen. The subesophageal ganglion, just below the brain, controls the mouthparts, salivary glands, and movements of the neck.

The insect brain actually controls only a small subset of functions required for an insect to live. The stomodaeal nervous system and other ganglia can control most body functions independent of the brain.

your male is just a little confused :p thats all...

Last edited by a moderator:
@sciencegirl I will try to get a video later today, I promise :) was late and I had some design to do that I was behind on cause I was needed at my 2nd job quite a bit already this week. It is very interesting to see him do this. I've only ever had females. I may have to get him a girl :)

The insect brain resides in the head, located dorsally. It consists of three pairs of lobes. These lobes are fused ganglia, clusters of neurons that process sensory information. Each lobe controls different activities or functions.

The first lobe, called the protocerebrum, connects via nerves to the compound eyes and the ocelli. The protocerebrum controls sight.

The middle lobe, the deutocerebrum, innervates the antennae Through neural impulses from the antennae, the insect may collect odor and taste cues, tactile sensations, or even environmental information like temperature or humidity.

The third lobe, the tritocerebrum, performs several functions. It connects to the labrum (an insect's movable upper lip) and integrates sensory information from the other two brain lobes. The tritocerebrum also connects the brain to the stomodaeal nervous system, which functions separately to innervate most of the insect's organs.

Other ganglia throughout its body control most of the overt behaviors we observe in insects. Thoracic ganglia control locomotion, and abdominal ganglia control reproduction and other functions of the abdomen. The subesophageal ganglion, just below the brain, controls the mouthparts, salivary glands, and movements of the neck.

The insect brain actually controls only a small subset of functions required for an insect to live. The stomodaeal nervous system and other ganglia can control most body functions independent of the brain.

your male is just a little confused :p thats all...
What he said.

Maybe you should get him a friend.

Finger_Puppet_Praying_Mantis_Mini-fm002610-1L.JPG.jpg