little white mites in f-fly cultures???

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisnoahdana

Reaction score
anyone know why there are little white mites in some of my fruit fly cultures and if not mistaken this destroys them correct? how to prevent would be nice too :) thanks all!

Mites are everywhere, don't get Phil started! :lol: They are in the air and in your hair! a little poem for you! They won't destroy them, eventually but not for awhile. Most people throw them out and start over. Is really up to you!

Hmm... are mites white? :huh: I thought they looked black?
EyeRollhmmm.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
well there are millions of types not all mycultures have it as I keep diff ones from diff places seperate the ones I bought from fly cafe have them any suggestions on the best flys for the $ ?

Ones I had years ago were white. They really won't do much damage. Sterilize everything and start over.

Yeah, start new cultures and keep them quarantined from any of the old cultures or where you used to keep them. Mite paper might help if there is an infestation in the house or if there is another source of the mites.

I have seen red ones and big fat white ones, which may be the same ones, but bloated on food or eggs.

Many times the mites will take a ride from the old culture to new ones if you just transfer the flies from an infected culture. So your best bet is to try to get new cultures from a different source.

I had a mite problem on and off last year, but for now, I think I have three types that are mite free. Melanogaster seem the easiest to 'clean' an existing population as the seem to breed faster than the mites. Hydei take longer to get started and for me were more prone to having mites in the culture before the the first flies eclose.

Yeah, start new cultures and keep them quarantined from any of the old cultures or where you used to keep them. Mite paper might help if there is an infestation in the house or if there is another source of the mites.I have seen red ones and big fat white ones, which may be the same ones, but bloated on food or eggs.

Many times the mites will take a ride from the old culture to new ones if you just transfer the flies from an infected culture. So your best bet is to try to get new cultures from a different source.

I had a mite problem on and off last year, but for now, I think I have three types that are mite free. Melanogaster seem the easiest to 'clean' an existing population as the seem to breed faster than the mites. Hydei take longer to get started and for me were more prone to having mites in the culture before the the first flies eclose.
Exactly. Don't keep the flies from the infected cultures. You shouldn't have too many issues. I had mites once but never again. Maybe even get your next flies from a different vendor.

mine are good! Kat, they are white, u have new species to go along with those dangerour mantis u breed :lol:
:p

Thanks for the info... I guess I don't have mites. I was starting to think maybe I did, because I keep finding lots of these small, black, dead things in different places around the bug room (not in the cultures though). But maybe all those tiny black beasties I see dead on top of the net cages (especially under the heat lamps) are really just small loose flying melanogasters that got cooked. :lol:

Latest posts