Liu in the wild

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
This is Liu, one of four L6 Tenodera sinensis (my favorite sp.) on a butterfly bush on my deck.  I decided to let him loose (random choice).  Conditions are perfect at the moment here in southeast Pennsylvania, having turned hot and a bit more humid. To entice him to make the bush his residence, I hand-fed him a BB fly. We'll see how long he stays. The second picture shows him munching on the BB.

liu-on-butterflybush02.JPG

liu-on-butterflybush.JPG

hey Digger  . These look like my crew , I have a group of Tenoderas at this vintage..

One of my fav's as well .........  S

It's been 19 days since I made this Butterfly Bush Liu's new home - and he's remained loyal to it.  We know our pets are very intelligent.  Liu has learned to navigate, all day and night, slowly and methodically to the largest flowering stems, realizing this is where the highest probability of munchies will be.  He doesn't just select and sit on one flower bunch. He'll stay an hour or so, then select and move to another flower.  Here's a picture, taken a few minutes ago.  You can see how plump he is - all from foraging on his own.

Liu_07-19-2017.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
@Digger Great to hear Liu is a loyal "outside pet" and is doing so well finding prey. :) I released a few mantids I captured Wednesday into the bush beside my door, so far they have been staying there too. :D

Latest posts