Live or Dead Prey?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnienhaus

Reaction score
Okay I've been doing alot of reading on here and there seems to be differing opinions...

Most people say that mantids should only eat live food and it keeps the mantids healthier

HOWEVER...

Others have made posts about shaking slightly or covering dead prey in honey or something else...

Which is better? Is one harmful? Im trying to get a good informed discussion going...

Okay I've been doing alot of reading on here and there seems to be differing opinions...Most people say that mantids should only eat live food and it keeps the mantids healthier

HOWEVER...

Others have made posts about shaking slightly or covering dead prey in honey or something else...

Which is better? Is one harmful? Im trying to get a good informed discussion going...
i would say live food is always best :)

Well naturally they eat live foods. I wouldn't feed dead food unless it just died and you know why it died.

Okay I've been doing alot of reading on here and there seems to be differing opinions...Most people say that mantids should only eat live food and it keeps the mantids healthier

HOWEVER...

I would personally lean towards live food only. I am thinking the more natural the situation the better, and Mantids are predators. If it doesn't move in the wild, they don't eat it so I am assuming this is some form of protection mechanism from fungal or bacterial infections on dead food. I'm not sure how rampant this would be in our controlled environments, but better safe than sorry.

My .02 cents canadian, .016 cents US .

Wayne

Well naturally they eat live foods. I wouldn't feed dead food unless it just died and you know why it died.
+1

If I just swatted a pesky escapee fly in the bug room, I'd definitely feed it (with forcepts) to someone. If I find a dead insect, either in the wild or in the bug room, that has died from unknown causes and/or has been dead for an unknown length of time, I wouldn't even consider using it as mantis food.

thanks for all the replies everyone...btw i just had three of my mantids molt...yay thanks to everyone's imput i seem to be doing things right

Thanks Kat, I have to say thanks especially to Jack (mantiskeeper1959) for the wonderful little guys!

well, since im going into winter down here, down under, ive taken to going outside every single time the sun comes out and catching as many insects as possible (atm mostly bees) and shoving all that my mantids dont eat into the freezer. they still take the food if its thawed out and held to their mouths and i know its only dead cus i killed it. :) means i save money on crickets and the like down the track! FTW! :D

I'm not really sure as this is actually a debate :huh: ...I mean, they eat live food, and I'm not sure how feeding dead food would somehow help nutritionally

I'm not really sure as this is actually a debate :huh: ...I mean, they eat live food, and I'm not sure how feeding dead food would somehow help nutritionally
Oh dear, Asa! Now you've gone and irritated Superfreak!

This will help you.

All animals, both carnivores (lion, mantis) and scavengers (vulture, dermestid beetle) that eat meat, digest dead animal protein. The difference between the lion and the vulture is that the lion captures say, a gazelle, while it is alive, kills it, and eats the dead meat, while the vulture eats a gazelle when it has already been dead for a while. Even snakes and birds, who swallow live prey, do not begin to digest it until it is dead from suffocation. Many carnivores, like canids (wild dogs, foxes) partially digest their prey before regurgitating it for their young. Obviously, the vomit contains sufficient nutrition for the infants' needs.

In captivity, most predatory mammals are fed dead meat and are probably better nourished than their wild counterparts. Many smaller pets, like snakes, tarantulas and, of course, mantids, are fed live prey as much for the benefit of their keepers as for themselves, but the chunk of tissue that a mantis swallows is dead by any definition, and the prey itself is dead long before the mantis finishes consuming it. Many mantis keepers kill and mutilate prey to feed them to "handicapped" mantids, like 'Lectric's two nymphs; other highly successful breeders, like Yen, will mutilate a cricket's head and dip it into honey and pollen to feed to selected species.

The mechanism by which mantids recognize something likely to be living prey in the wild and capture it, is described in mind-numbing detail in Prete (Ch. 10), but the stimuli are readily simulated by an experienced mantid keeper and have been discussed several times on this forum.

For someone who experiences cold winters and whose family does not tolerate escaped live crix and flies roaming around the house all winter, the feeding of frozen insects seems like an ideal, nutritionally sound solution. Fortunately such conditions do not obtain here in Yuma, which is good, because I think that I lack the requisite patience. :D

Oh yes, while I'm in a preachy mood, let me briefly adress the fear of "bacteria" that has been voiced by several people on this thread. Fruit fly larvae live on bacteria, and the adults are covered in it. Crix eat decaying food and and flies and roaches terrify housewives (domestic engineers?) with the threat of "germs" being introduced into the food with which they come in contact. What makes you think that a mantis's digestive system, which routinely handles all of these bacteria from living insects, can't handle those that grow on them when they are dead?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts