Loads of babies... What do I do now?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis_Whisper

Reaction score
Okay I posted something about the babies hatching yesterday cause I opened the ooth.

Well they hatched out fine and I have 50+ at the moment, I think there's gonna be more. But I wanted to know, when should I start feeding them and when should I start separting them?

Any help and advice would be the greatest. :D

They're Tenodera aridifolia (Chinese mantids) if that helps at all.

With my first T. sinesis hatching, I kept them all together until a week and a half had gone by. Start feeding them 1-3 days after they hatch because right after hatching the show no interest in attacking prey. I just dumped a bunch of fruit flies in there and let them crawl around. The stronger ones will notice and attack them.

Separation of the nymphs really depends on what you can manage. If you get too many nymphs, leave them together for 2 weeks until you are singled out with the strongest ones or are left with a manageable number. I personally separate them within a week or a week and a half, regardless of the number of nymphs left (of course, if I had an insane amount of nymphs - 250+, I would leave them together, you get the idea).

I'd drape a paper towel over one side and along the bottom for misting purposes. You will find that even if you are careful with mistings to make sure the droplets don't get too big, some nymphs tend to get stuck in the water and may drown. The paper towel helps absorb the bigger droplets and the nymphs can drink directly from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep them all together until they are L3 or so. Just dump in fruit flies every other day. Keep in mind most of them will die no matter what you do.

I keep them all together until they are L3 or so. Just dump in fruit flies every other day. Keep in mind most of them will die no matter what you do.
I like this plan. OR until I had about 15 of them left, then I would seperate them. I supposed if I had something hard to get like violins I would try to manage about 25 of them seperated.

Alright, well I had to move them into a different contianer so I can feed them and mist them easier.

I counted 108 and so far and I think there's a couple more hatching at the moment.

Thanks for all the advice. :p

I keep most species together until those that are going to die, die.

I'll wait till thier second molt before separting them.

Thanks again everyone, you've been a grand help.

Rick- You know your very morbid sometimes. :eek:

hes a breeder..and im gueesing he does this so hes only got strong live stock for sell..if he saved every one im sure a few would be weak..no good for selling..?just an guees.?
I know, I'm just saying he's morbid. He always seems to be talking about death.... well sometimes. :mellow:

I can see not wanting to take the time to feed 200 babies and letting the strongest 30 make the cut .. hehe

Latest posts